Thread: Hello from Ohio

Hello from Ohio

Hello all my names Kyle and I'm a new large format shooter from north central Ohio. I've been into photography as a hobby and been shooting film for about 2.5 years now. I started out with 35mm and then progressed to medium format after a couple of months, and have been happily playing that game ever since. I started developing my own B&W with the occasional home C41 and E6, but for me B&W is where it's really at. I recently decided to jump into the LF game so I bought myself a near mint and fully restored top rangefinder crown graphic with the Schneider Xenar 135mm 4.7 lens. I've already got 5 film holders and a 100 sheet box of HP5+, I also picked up a MOD 54 since I already had a Paterson 3 reel tank. I've got the holders loaded and must say it was a lot easier than I had expected, the crown graphic will be here tomorrow and I intend to make my first exposures after work, as well as trying my hand at MOD 54 processing. I intend to stick around and learn what I can, and possibly contribute from time to time.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Re: Hello from Ohio

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    Hello all my names Kyle and I'm a new large format shooter from north central Ohio. I've been into photography as a hobby and been shooting film for about 2.5 years now. I started out with 35mm and then progressed to medium format after a couple of months, and have been happily playing that game ever since. I started developing my own B&W with the occasional home C41 and E6, but for me B&W is where it's really at. I recently decided to jump into the LF game so I bought myself a near mint and fully restored top rangefinder crown graphic with the Schneider Xenar 135mm 4.7 lens. I've already got 5 film holders and a 100 sheet box of HP5+, I also picked up a MOD 54 since I already had a Paterson 3 reel tank. I've got the holders loaded and must say it was a lot easier than I had expected, the crown graphic will be here tomorrow and I intend to make my first exposures after work, as well as trying my hand at MOD 54 processing. I intend to stick around and learn what I can, and possibly contribute from time to time.
    Welcome. Load up and head for Hocking Hills. You won't be disappointed and this is from and Ann Arbor, MI resident.

You may never NEED another lens, (although you are certain to want/buy more).
    Best of luck to you.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    You may never NEED another lens, (although you are certain to want/buy more).
    Best of luck to you.
    I tend to be a one lens per camera kind of guy. Except with my RZ67 but thats just because it came with both the 50mm and 110mm when I bought it, and I kept my 90mm from My RB67 when I sold it so that I could use the RZ without batteries if need be. I've heard that the 135mm Xenar may not have enough coverage to use even the limited movements of the Crown Graphic, if that is the case I may pick up a lens with more coverage once I get used to the large format process and actually start to use those movements.

It covers just fine, but you gotta stop down a mite.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Welcome to the obsession! Try to remember to stop and eat occasionally.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Les

Welcome to LF Forum. Since all this advice is spewing out, I thought I'd give mine. Yes, get the detail....and don't forget to zoom in :>). Did I mention with legs ?

Les

Welcome, Kyle!

Kyle, welcome! I grew up in Lorain, Ohio in the '50s and '60s so know the area quite well.