Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KEH has been picked over?

KEH has been picked over?

Has anyone noticed that KEH's inventory seems pretty thoroughly picked over? Back in September, I was short on cash, but had noticed any number of neat things for sale. Yesterday I was not so short on cash, and it's like a desert in there.

Is this just seasonality? People turn their gear into cash in September, and spend it all shortly before Black Friday? Does this match with your experiences there, or with other stores?

Re: KEH has been picked over?

absolutley. very little in the panoramic range, used to be a decent selection of lenses but not anymore. they've been having lots of sales so maybe they're trying to move old inventory as well ?

it's definitely a different place now
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

FWIW, they just had a Thanksgiving / Black Friday sale with 50% off accessories, 30% off lenses, and 20% off cameras. Plus free shipping. So, if you looked very recently, that might be a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    FWIW, they just had a Thanksgiving / Black Friday sale with 50% off accessories, 30% off lenses, and 20% off cameras. Plus free shipping. So, if you looked very recently, that might be a factor.
    Got it. I'll have to budget better for next year

The sale they had on Friday was amazing with big discounts and free shipping to Canada. I got some items I had been after at ridiculous prices but the inventory went very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Frostmill View Post
    Back in September, I was short on cash, but had noticed any number of neat things for sale. Yesterday I was not so short on cash, and it's like a desert in there.
    It is a matter of Sod's Law I expect ... once-in-a-blue-moon bargains turn up only when the bank balance is tending towards red, while the rest of the time nobody sells anything you would ever want to buy.

I got a Linhof viewfinder 50% off and a Nikon view camera lens 30% off this weekend. Couldn't resist! But it is slim pickings at KEH right now.

OTOH, their 50mm lenses for SLRs are cheaper than Legos. You could build a wall with them.

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    I missed this one, not that I had the mula at this time to participate.

They had one of these last Christmas, and I picked up a couple of things that I'd been eyeing. (Only for accessories, not lenses.) Not too long after, they did a road trip that included Portland to pick up more gear.

Still, I've noticed over the past year or so, that they're not the bountiful resource they've been in the past.

Seems LF and really cheap MF film cameras and accessories are being phased out.

Big changes at KEH compared to a few years ago.

I think some older guys were 'retired', as the seller/writer knowledge base has diminished.

Bargains do appear and never hesitate, as they stand behind everything.
    Tin Can