Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: view camera magazine

view camera magazine

More stuff about alt. processes would be fun; Examples of backpacks and/or other bags for carrying a monorail in the field and how they are packed in said backpacks (I know, get a folder but I don't want one); Making digital negatives; A 'newbie' column that reintroduces basics for those of us who are new to the mag.

Guess that's all I can think of :-) Thanks for asking!

view camera magazine

Steve: When I got into large format a couple of years ago VC was my first research tool for nearly everything. After twenty years in photojournalism, the magazine has been a big help in transitioning when I want to take the time to go slow. That's why I still suscribe.

With all the technical talk, though, I'd like to see more on the 'Zen' part of this format. What inspires people to lug all this stuff around? We read about the masters who had some sort of classical training that help moved them to see something unique in compositions; what works for people today?

Also, a portfolio every now and then of the unkowns who make nice images without a book or business to promote would be good. Hard to find, I'm sure.

Others: Self Publishing. Home publishing (injets at the ready). The least expensive way to get into LF.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

view camera magazine

As a past subscriber, here are some things that may get me to re-subscribe. Keep in mind those are my personal preferences and do not reflect on any value the magazine might have for others:

* More portfolios. Not just of big-names, but readers as well. I personally value those more than the technical/how-to/history-of/shootout/etc. articles. (which are important, but not always interesting to me)

* Recurring columns from prolific photographers/writers about the art and philosophy of photography. This is something I really like about publications like LensWork, Photo Technique, and even mass-appeal mags like OP have/had such gems from William Neill, Galen Rowell etc. that kept me interested. These are rarely about gear and more about photography and personal expression.

* Someone already mentioned it, and I don't mean to be petty, but... better proofing. Maybe I'm just anal, but it upsets me to find errors in spelling and grammar in a printed magazine.

My 2c...
    Guy
    Scenic Wild Photography

view camera magazine

Steve,

In the July/August 2003 issue of View Camera Magazine, there is an excellent,although incomplete article titled "Flatbed Scanning 4x5 for High Quality Inkjet Printing-part 1" by George DeWolfe. I, and I'm sure others, are waiting for part 2. As a subscriber I can't find part two to date. Could you please follow up on that article.

VCM has a fine mix of articles, some that cannot be covered in one issue, especially cutting edge digital scanning, processing and printing. Installment articles covering these in depth, I think, would be well received. Are you familiar with the works of Joseph Holmes? http://www.josephholmes.com/ Maybe he would consent to sharing his knowledge along with all of your other great contributers.

Thanks for all of your effort.

Richard Martel

view camera magazine

I would appreciate a workflow for modifying scanned 4x5 negatives and transparencies in Photoshop. I use both B&W and some color transparencies. I have scanned a few color negatives, but the orange color (coating) confuses me.

I realize this is somewhat basic, but, some of us have to start somewhere.

view camera magazine

Specifically on the how-to question, I'd like to see details on large-print mounting techniques. I've seen some mention in the forums on mounting to plexiglass and metal, as well as various experiments with protective coatings, but an article that walked through step by step would be nice for these somewhat esoteric practices.

-T

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

view camera magazine

The one improvement I want from View Camera Magazine is a functioning way to subscribe. I won't relly mind if you have to ship it by surface mail so it takes six months to arrive in Norway, but I'd like to be able to sobscribe without going through a "proxy". I have only the best experience with Robert White, but that is not what I'm complaining about.

So I'd like to SEE the content. Then I'm sure I could dream up a "wish list"...

I might even be persuaded to write something myself - if I can find a good proofreader who can turn my thoughts into English.

view camera magazine

A real review of scanners, with actual numerical measurements such as density, S/N, MTF 50, resolving power, etc... as can be provided by Imatest (a $60 software), or any other comparable method.

view camera magazine

What I'd really like to see is a comparison of what the same image looks like when using different film/developer combinations. It doesn't have to be extensive, just enough to give us a feel for what the 'major' differences are.

Curtis

view camera magazine

You used to run a certain kind of article that I really enjoyed - Caponigro's (the younger) interviews/conversations with various artists. Very interesting discussions about vision and technique, especially the former and how the latter related to the former. I, personally, would enjoy stuff along those lines. Cheers, DJ