Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: view camera magazine

view camera magazine

We are having some suggestions for more how-to articles in View Camera. What would people like to see in this regard?

steve simmons

www.viewcamera.com

view camera magazine

How about an LF basics article on bellows compensation factors? Why they are important, how to determinine them and then apply them in the field/studio?

view camera magazine

How-to-Prufread

view camera magazine

Here is my easy formula

for every 25% you add to the infinity bellows extension you add 1/2 stop of exposure. For example if you have a 6"/150mmlens and you have 7.5 inches of extension then add 1/2 stop of expsure. Normallyyou can add the extra exposue with time or by opening up. However, if you are using strobe then adding time does not help and you must open up wt yor f-stops.

If you have a 6" lens and you have 9" of extension then add 1 stop. If you have 10.5" then add 1.5 stops an if you have 12" of extension then add 2 stops.

This formula works for any focal length lens.

Some people will snow you with math formulae but it is not necessary to know. My formula works everytme.

steve simmons

view camera magazine

How about an update on digital negatives, shooting with say 4x5 and using Photoshop to digitally print larger negatives. What's the best combination of printers, inks, mylar, and software? The best books to read, etc? (Is it still Burkholder?) For example, can the ultrachrome inks be used for this purpose on this or that particular mylar. Etc.

I would still call this LF, since one's shooting a 4x5 and scanning it in using a flatbed scanner.

view camera magazine

1) Perhaps showcase the exposure & darkroom techniques of a famous or not so famous
    photographer in each issue. (in detail, the nuts and bolts)

2) List the most sucsessful film/developer combinations for expansion and contraction.
    This could be brought out in item (1).

3) Many of us are not professionals and can't afford new equipment so any artical dealing
    on strategy for using old lenses and shutters in the field, repairing equipment, buying used equipment or saving money while enjoying this hobby is always of interest. Perhaps this could be part a hobbyists corner in the online section of your publication each month.

I'm a novice 8x10 enthusiast. Your early mags contained rudimentary "how-toos". I've purchased
    a few and they are fascinating for the amature. At the same time I don't know of another publication thats more interesting for the large format photographer as your present mag. So I hope you do begin again to publish more "how-toos".

Thanks,
    Mike

view camera magazine

Ron Rosenstock d0es a darkroom how-to each issue discussing one of his images and showing a before and after print.

The Dec/Jan issue of CameraArts had an article about the new guru of digtal negs.

We've done lots of articles about older cameras and lenses and will continue to do so.

We are starting a series on digital printingin the March issue.

Our March issue is our 10oth issue. We have a special portfolio on Paul Caponigro.

We are going to do more how-to articles in all future issues

www.viewcamera.com

steve simmons

view camera magazine

PS

We also have an article on scanning lf negs coming up in the May issue

steve simmons

view camera magazine

Just to add my math-impaired way of figuring bellows extension to what Steve posted above: If I have, say, an 8-inch lens, I say to myself "I'm starting at f8" Then I measure, and if the bellows extension is 11 inches, I call that f11, so I must increase exposure by one stop. If the bellows extension is 13 inches (f13), I just figure how much difference there is between f8 and f13 -- about one-and-a-half stops? It's always worked for me.

view camera magazine

Steve,

Overall I'm very happy with my subscription. The paper and developer shootout, the B&W Meunch photos, the focus and toolkit articles have all been great. I've also enjoyed the recent Speed/Crown Graphic articles.

As for how-to's, the things that I've trouble with over the past year have been bellows extension factors, and troubleshooting a 545 holder that was consistently causing one side of the neg to be out of focus (though everything was fine with a standard holder and sheet film).

Quick disk or your formula take care of bellows extansion (but not forgetting that you have to compensate for bellows extension). As for the other, some short articles (100-500 words) on maintenance would be good. Something on fresnels (what do they offer the photographer) might be good, too.

Another thing, though not a how-to, would look at a shot with a selection of lenses (75,90,150,210, 300 etc). I haven't been able to find anything really like that on line, although VC did do an article on an Italian Photographer (who's name escapes me) that used alot of wide and super-wide lenses. My first good lens was a 135 Nikon because I liked the view from my sometimes sticky 135 Optar. My other primary lens is a multicoated 210 Schneider.

Finally, thanks for your work at VC. It's enjoyable, informative and well produced.

Mike Davis