Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Focusing issues. 8x10 negs

Re: Focusing issues. 8x10 negs

Quote Originally Posted by dentkimterry View Post
    Lens is 240mm Componon S. I am using a glass carrier.
    Ok, yes that is blurry at the corners of 8x10. Prints seem to be OK, but I almost never use mine, I use the 300mm instead. Such a dramatic difference with a 300mm. Under the magnifier the corners are tack sharp even at 5.6.

I got the 240 because I'm height challenged where my darkroom is. I think I'll look for a 300 though. I can always lower the baseboard. Anybody have one?

Luis, how do you adjust the alignment between the negative and lens stages? The manual is not very clear.

It seems to me that this enlarger should have a bracket off the column to the wall. Anyone have experience with this?
    Not very stable without a wall bracket. I'll post some photos Monday when I get home of the alignment. The easel can be a bigger issue than the baseboard. L

Fine Art & Architect

I am just getting into enlarging 8x10 negatives on my Chromega F. glass negative carrier and a Rodenstock Graphigon 240mm f 11 lens. using an Omega grain focus. I also found it hard to focus. luckily a few of negs had a sharp line in the shot and could focus on that. others were alittle harder. A grain focus with higher magnification would be great. So far so good. next printing session plan on making some more detailed test strips for different filtrations.
    Dave O

I got the 240 because I'm height challenged where my darkroom is. I think I'll look for a 300 though. I can always lower the baseboard. Anybody have one?
    You don't need a 300. I had one n sold it. Get a 210 instead!

I don't have one, but isn't the MicroSight III an aerial image device? That is, rather than a ground glass it has a retical target of some type, crosshairs or a circle, printed on clear glass? Most people try to put their eye focused on the retical and keep it there while focusing the image, but there's another way to do it.

The image can look in focus even if it's not if you let your eye dwell on it and not the retical, which may be why you're confused, but in that case the focused image and retical will be different distances away. The way to use such a retical is do your best guess in focusing, and then wobble your eye back and forth. If the focused image is spot on in the same plane as the retical, thus in focus, it won't move. If it's ahead or behind of the retical, it will move back and forth relative to the retical when you move your view through the eyepiece, because they won't be at the same distance.

This may be hard to understand, but it's easy to see. Simply focus until moving your head back and forth doesn't cause the image to move relative to the retical, and you're done---you can just forget the technical discussion above if you want. :-)
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Thanks for that tip mdarnton. The MircoSight lll is an enlarger grain focuser. I looked the instructions up online and now know how to correctly use it. There is a reticle inside that you focus on with the diopter correction built in. Once focused on that it is used to focus on the grain. I didn't have the diopter set correctly for my eyesight so everything was off. It is all coming together for me with the help of you forum friends. I thank you.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

This makes adjusting the lens stage a snap: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...able_Lens.html

Thomas

You can also replace your negative with a very fine plastic window screen and focus that way.
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."