Thread: Hello from the Last Frontier

Hello from the Last Frontier

Hello everybody, from way up North in Alaska. My name is Todd, and I'm a WWII reenactor, which is actually the main reason I'm interested in large format photography. I decided to combine my two passions, history and photography (despite being pretty much a newbie when it comes to photography), to get the best of both worlds! I figure it'll be a nice change of pace from always portraying a rifleman, and I'll get to provide authentic photos of the reenactment so others don't have to break authenticity to do so (taking out a cell phone or digital camera, for example). Not to mention, being in Alaska there's no shortage of good photography opportunities. I'm still working out the kinks - I'm trying to decide if I'm going to scan the negatives, or set up a darkroom in my tiny bathroom. I have a feeling that a darkroom setup would be more nostalgic and satisfying, but the scanner would take up less space - Decisions, decisions.

Anyways, I can't wait to get my hands on my Speed Graphic (working out a deal now) so I can start taking pictures!

- Todd

Re: Hello from the Last Frontier

Hi BoonieFox,

Welcome aboard. About the choice between wet printing or scanning, You'll have to try both, if not, how can we appreciate your future work?
    Wet printing is a nice thing, takes time and practice to come well, but are just perfect with the subject and medium you're planning to use,

Cheers,

Renato

Welcome aboard!
    I flew a Super Cub up in your part of the world in '92.
    It sounds like you've got some exciting projects to look forward to with that Speeder!
    Have you found a copy of Morgan and Lister's Graphic Graflex Photography yet? It's an invaluable resource along with www.graflex.org
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome aboard! One of my neighbors, a collector, has an Army issue press camera of some type or other. I also think that a few smaller format cameras went to war, too. One of the nice things about big negatives is contact printing---no enlarger needed. On the re-enacting side, a couple years ago my boys went to the Army Heritage Center in Carlisle, PA on a home school special day with re-enactors from all across US history incl. WW2.

Les

Welcome to LF. AK offers many wonderful spaces/vistas....and I tend to visit whenever I can. One of my intimate moments was when taking photos of grasses in the water (Kodachrome + pola) while awaiting a train from Whittier. Those were the days when you couldn't drive there :>). Naturally, an eagle was sitting on the branch nearby.

Good luck deciding.

Les

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Welcome to the forum. Contact prints are easy to make in a closet, and are period appropriate, so for sure give it a try. I use a scanner to check my negatives, and save digital copies of the negatives I don't find good enough to want to print. I don't have a printer, so I am either digital display or wet print.

Oh shoot! I thought you was one of them little green alien fellas. Ain't the last frontier the same as Space, the final frontier, in Star Trek?

Anyway, welcome to the forum!