Thread: carrying large format in the field

carrying large format in the field

I have a 4x5 Calumet monorail camera and I'm not sure of the exact model number. It has black matte metal frame and grey mottled metallic paint risers. I'm wondering if it is advisable to take the camera off the monorail and compress and secure the camera body components in order to fit it in a more convient package? Thanks for any and all responses, couldn't find this question in the archives.

Octogenarian

Hi Dale,

Problem is that the bellows is permanently attached to the front and rear standards. By removing one, or both of the plastic caps from the front, or the rear, of the rail, you could slide the standards completely off to dis-assemble the camera. However, it not would be easy to re-assemble, and you would run the risk of tearing the bellows. I do not recommend it.

Not a problem. Compress the bellows and take off the rail.

Eugene I was thinking of running the standards onto a short shaft and having the frame securely held together most likely with a metal bracket top and bottom.

You can do it without compressing it. When I started, I carried mine in it’s case, film holders, tripod, all on a packframe. A minolta srt101 35mm hung around my neck to compose and meter with. The good old days. It was good exercise.

Octogenarian

Dale,

That should work O.K. Just be careful that you don't loose the plastic end pieces or tear the bellows. You'll need a proper sized Allen wrench to loosen and tighten the locking screws that are used to secure the end pieces in place.

Dale, I carry a GX in the field, what I did was buy another rail off ebay, ( the male end), I then compressed the camera with bellows attached and measured the length of rail needed. I then simply took the rail apart, cut it down, cut and die the male rod. Now the toyo is compressed nicely in a frame pack, and then I simply install the female rail when using my 210 or 360. It was actually pretty easy and works great for me.

Thanks for the quick response folks, I sure appreciate the input and will give this a try as the rail I have on the camera now is 22" long and makes for difficult packingl.

Dale, I have one of those Calumets and used to carry it on the rail, but compressed, in a regular metal frame backpack. I tried it off the rails, but if you want to shoot fast, forget it. I have the 22" rail and the whole camera fit nicely into an old Kelty pack. Lenses and filmholders went in a box I fabricated in the bottom of the pack. It was easy to pull the Calumet out of the pack and get right to shooting. Carrying a Calumet isn't ideal so if you backpack LF a lot you will want a lighter, folding camera.