Thread: Gitzo G504 Studex Giant Center Column Handle Replacement

Gitzo G504 Studex Giant Center Column Handle Replacement

Hi All,

The silver handle snapped right before it inserts into the tripod.

Any recommendations on how to fix this?

Re: Gitzo G504 Studex Giant Center Column Handle Replacement

John, I have the same tripod, 504 (no G prefix - mine is Tele Studex Giant). Here are some links to Gitzo stuff but neither mine nor yours show up, either in spare parts or repairs:

http://thefotogeeks.com/diagrams/GITZO/G528.PDF

http://www.gitzo.us/service/Product+...ystem/13122535

Can you disassemble the crank handle enough to find out if it's hollow or solid? I see a slot for flat-tipped screwdriver at its top end that might allow removal of the arm. If solid, you're likely SOL, but if hollow there may be a possible DIY repair. The failure was probably due to trying to force it to do its job without first loosening the "winged" collar under the top platform, creating a combination of torsion/bending at the failure point. If it's hollow you may be able to epoxy a solid rod inside both sides of the fracture; the solid piece could be bent 90* or so. Or a hollow tube, also bent to some angle, could be slipped over the outside of the crank and epoxied in place. It shouldn't require much force to allow it to function once the winged collar is loose.

You mean the handle to crank the shaft up and down?
    You can easely use these tripods without it, just grab the center column loosen the lock and push it up and down with your hands, I think it's even faster and easier.
    I use two Gitzo's that way, with up to 8x10 cameras.

I'm going to guess that it snapped right where the stop pin is on the handle ?
    The pin looks rather large compared to the handle diameter, which would
    make it my first guess at where it will fail.

If the handle rod is solid it'll be a heck of a lot easier to repair than a hollow one, just
    replace it, it's probably metric since it's a european manufacturer.
    Hollow is sort of easy, bending the tube without collapsing it will be tricky.

McMaster has metric sized steel rods, order the same size and take it to a metal working shop
    to have them bend it and drill for a new pin.
    I'm not sure how the knurled ends go on, but if they're threaded then it's just a matter of
    cutting threads on the ends and swapping them out.

Quote Originally Posted by case-ie View Post
    You mean the handle to crank the shaft up and down?
    You can easely use these tripods without it, just grab the center column loosen the lock and push it up and down with your hands, I think it's even faster and easier.
    I use two Gitzo's that way, with up to 8x10 cameras.
    You must be referring to the Rapid (non-geared) Center Column, because that's not possible with the OP's geared column. Sure the rapid column is faster to raise and lower, but if the pan position has already been set and all that's needed is to raise/lower the camera then the geared column is good for that; and it's not necessary to hold the camera's weight while raising/lowering which can be rather awkward under some circumstances.

Jim, I totally agree with all you said. FWIW, I just noticed the parts pdf incorrectly shows the pin to be on the wrong side of the gearbox output shaft, and I'm certain the knurled part has to be removable in order to replace the arm (assuming a replacement is available). I've not tried it though. The knurled handle is not clearly removable to me, but it had to be assembled somehow at the mfr so I'd have to assume it can be disassembled somehow.

Jerry, the top straight knurled part by the gear box shaft is probably removable, it's either threaded or
    has a pin holding it on. Not so sure of the bottom.
    I don't own one but does the bottom fancy knurled part spin freely when you crank the column up/down ?
    If it does it may be pressed on and is going to be a bitch to get off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C. View Post
    ...does the bottom fancy knurled part spin freely when you crank the column up/down ?
    If it does it may be pressed on and is going to be a bitch to get off.
    Yes it spins freely.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    You must be referring to the Rapid (non-geared) Center Column, because that's not possible with the OP's geared column. Sure the rapid column is faster to raise and lower, but if the pan position has already been set and all that's needed is to raise/lower the camera then the geared column is good for that; and it's not necessary to hold the camera's weight while raising/lowering which can be rather awkward under some circumstances.
    Mine looks like this, not so fancy. and I took the handle off all together. the column will not turn left or right though, it's hold in place by a rod in a ridge in the column.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100076.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	142547

Quote Originally Posted by case-ie View Post
    Mine looks like this, not so fancy. and I took the handle off all together. the column will not turn left or right though, it's hold in place by a rod in a ridge in the column.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100076.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	142547
    Oh, I see. Yours is a very different version than the one OP is seeking a repair for.