Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So Long 8x20 (And Heavy)

So Long 8x20 (And Heavy)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sold.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	142264

So goes my exploit into ULF photography. I think that it's a noble venture, to pursue the finest image quality that can be achieved by a large format camera.

But, it was too heavy for me. My only tripod that would hold the combination Wisner 8x20 Conversion/Toyo 8x10 G system was a heavy-duty Linhof, 19lbs tripod. The combined weight was about 50 lbs. This weight, plus that of my person was too much for MY frame to handle. (I'm over 60.)

I know there are lighter tripods that would hold this outfit, but not much lighter. Anyway, I have an 8x10 and the ability to enlarge that format. I can still get very nice results with a 4x10, reduction back that I plan to have built for my camera.

I appreciate the encouragement I received from ULF enthusiasts on this site. At least I gave it a shot.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: So Long 8x20 (And Heavy)

I'm using my cart more now with all of my ULF equipment. My 32lb 14 x 17 is getting heavy now that I am 65. BTW, any 8 x 20 film left?

I bought a cart for my outfit. I think that a cart may be an essential for these cameras.

The 8x20 film I purchased from Phil Hudson went with the camera. As it turned out, the photographer who purchased the camera had a Wisner 8x10 Expedition. With the parts that I sold with the outfit, fitting the Wisner 8x20 conversion onto the Expedition required minimal effort. All he had to do is remove the adapter on the front of the 8x20 bellows.

I occurred to me that I could sell my 8x10 Deardorff and find an Expedition. But the more I thought about it, the more promising purchasing some 4x10 film holders and having a 4x10 back built for the Deardorff sounded.

At least you tried it, right?

I recently got a pack for my 8x20 that fits like a glove. A smaller bag for a couple of lenses and accessories, tripod in the other hand...I think I can handle it. I'm been waiting for the right subject to use it. I have plans for photos at a very interesting and special place in Florida but I've got to fit it in my schedule since it's really backwoods and requires canoeing to the location. I can only shoot 4 sheets at a time. I better get it right!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Neil, how heavy is too heavy? To me, the 8x10 'dorff is too heavy at 12+ lbs. My 8x10 weighs only 5. Relatively easy to carry for a few miles.
    I am working on a 12x 20 Kodak conversion that will weigh 12-14lbs--too much to hike far, but fine for working near my SUV.

Just wondering...if you had an 8x20 with a weight similar to your Deardorff, would you be in, or would you still say not for me?

For a day hike I don't see how anything under 50 lbs is an issue, my ex's pack was 60lbs when we hiked the Grand Canyon for. 8 days, she was 5'4" and probably only 110 lbs herself. Mine was 80 lbs. I'm 5'9" and only 145lbs...

Even at 60 you should be able to handle 50 lbs for an hours hike before setting up, shooting, relaxing and enjoying the view, and hiking out.

That's not meant to be condescending, that is meant to be a perspective, if you can't handle that you probably should be getting some exercise and trying to strengthen your legs for health reasons, it's probably an indicator that you are out of shape. Don't get rid of the camera, just joined a gym and start doing leg strengthening exercises and abdominal and back strengthening exercises so that you can handle the camera, this will also ensure that you were walking and hiking further into your old age which means you'll be taking more pictures throughout your life and that you will probably extend your life further. All good things.

May you stay forever young and healthy.
    Tin Can

Even at 20-something a man should have enough experience of the world to know that he himself is not the measure of all things.

I use a folding wagon to carry my 7x17 and 8x10 plus necessities, they use the same tripod and 5'x7' dark cloth. Being closer to 90 than 80 this enables me to continue using the cameras I like best.

Quote Originally Posted by baro-nite View Post
    Even at 20-something a man should have enough experience of the world to know that he himself is not the measure of all things.
    If only.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome