Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most congenial forum?

Most congenial forum?

brand loyal zealots
    Well for sure you'll find here brand-loyal zealots (I'll not disclose here my favourite view camera brand ;-) but as far as optics is concerned in Large Format photography we enjoy to be able to mount almost any lens on any camera; new or old ; we can mix in our collection of new lenses 4 major brands, 2 Europeans, 2 Japanese, plus 2 outsiders, one British, one Japanese and get the best of all. Plus all vintage LF lenses & shutters. We can even put to work together former communist lenses and their capitalist enemies of the years 1950-1990. Or we can ignore lenses and use pinholes or zone plates. As far as image detectors are concerned the marvelous device named 'International Back' allows that we can use any brand of film holder, either cut film, rolfilm or even self-coated glass plates, Metric size or Imperial .. and silicon-digital backs on almost any camera !!! May be those technical differences explain that brand-related controversies take a different style here, simply because most of us would simply like to use the three dozens of different field, view, panoramic cameras actually available on the market ;-);-)

Most congenial forum?

I think that a part of it might have to do with the discipline and commitment required for LF photography. I have enormous respect for anyone willing to commit to this medium the resources, financial, intellectual, and otherwise, that are necessary to enjoy any meaningful success. Whatever my differences with forum contributors, they're still LF photogrtaphers, which places them much higher than the general population, in my respect hierarchy.

Jay

Most congenial forum?

Emmanuel, I'm worried, how can I recognise a communist lens? Is my camera bag at risk of being infilterated.?
    To be serious I have never encountered a group of people who are so generous with information. the opportunity to take the p*** is often there but is rearly taken up, sorry Emmanuel.
    I really believe that it is an age thing, I think that most of us are knocking on a bit and when our generatiion were growing up manners mattered. I think that we're safe 'cos what I've seen of the younger generation they are all too idle to even lift a 5x4 let alone a ULF outfit, 'cmon lads, proove me wrong.
    Thanks again for sharing your knowledge so freely, it's really appreciated.

Most congenial forum?

I agree with Scott in that the people here have gravitated here after being dissatisfied with the behaviour on other forums. Birds of a feather and all that guff .....

I also think it has something to do with the equipment we use, as others have already noted. I find a similar congeniality on ƒ32.net (another LF forum) though it has a much smaller community (more like "family" than the "country town" we have here).

ƒ32.net, APUG and here are the forums I most often inhabit.

Thank you all for contributing.

Most congenial forum?

Not sure I know why, but LF photogs seems to be willing to share their secrets. I've encountered others that want to capitalize on what they have learned and not share. I think it is the aesthetic approach we individually develop that sets us apart, not unique technical knowledge. We seem to know that, and share the info that it makes no sense to reinvent. We do have our family arguments. But this place has been evolving for a long time, from here to photo.net and back again, and for one, I must applaud over and over for the community spirited leadership and hard work of Tuan. If this is a place, he is the Mayor, and I will vote for his re-election a million times over. And for lots of other offices if he chooses to run. This place is what it is in many ways as a result of who he is and what he has done here. I really thank him for it.

Beverly Hills, California

Most congenial forum?

We're not tied up in the rampant consumerism as badly.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

Most congenial forum?

I think it's because we're trying to help each other.

Geos

Most congenial forum?

It's because LF is so cool and there are so few of us. I also think we're all anal retentive and obsessive-compulsive. How could we not get along well? When I've been out in the sticks LFing and come across a fellow LFer, its like finding a new friend or a long lost brother or sister.

Most congenial forum?

While some here are so old as they need to worry about blowing a gasket There are a number of younger LF users, though we just don't post as often because we are still learning the trade. Personally, I turned 22 yesterday.

Most congenial forum?

Although generally I prefer my own company when photographing remote areas, I really enjoy meeting of like photographers - particularly LF. Such photographers always get their own back by enthusing others!

My thanks to all...