Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Most congenial forum?

Most congenial forum?

I find this forum, www.forum.rickresource.com, to be one of the friendliest and honest forums I have been involved with. It is also extremely informative with a lot of knowledgeable folks on it, including the CEO of Rickenbacker and various past employees sharing vast amounts of informaion.

Most congenial forum?

We're all congenial unless you're a certain Deardorff repairman; run a wooden camera company in Massachusetts, pontificate and publish a small magazine about large format cameras, or try to protect your supplier's trademarks from being used on eBay. Oh, and a self-promiting photographer getting international publicity for claiming your aerial camera is the highest resolution camera in the universe... ;-)

Most congenial forum?

Happy Birthday, Jeremy!!

Most congenial forum?

To some extent, I think the personalities of the people here balance one another out. We're all different kind of people - all kinds of ages, personalities, dispositions, professions, faiths, etc - but we all hold a common interest that we come here to discuss and help one another out with. It's something we all see value in. I like to come here to learn and to contribute as well as I can.

The singlespeed/fixed gear forum on www.bikeforums.net is another forum with a good set of people, if a bit rowdy at times. APUG is better than some forums, certainly, but I didn't exactly find it to be the right forum for me (I'll leave it at that). Photo.net never felt right to me. A discussion forum I used to mod now just makes me cringe it has degenerated so much. In any case, this certainly remains the friendliest forum I know. I've been following it since I first got into photography and I don't know any other resource that has provided me with more and better information than this.

Long live the forum!

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Most congenial forum?

Maybe because we know that there is no big difference if the equipment is brand new or more than 100 years old? We can still learn from each other!

Most congenial forum?

When I read the title of this thread I laughed because of what Frank mentioned, but then I realized that I don't follow any other forums so I have nothing to compare it to.

At the ripe age of 55, I realize that I have wasted allot of time and energy trying to win battles that served only the needs of my fragile ego. I am much more interested now in teaching what I know, gaining solid information and getting my work done. I figure at the rate my body is deteriorating, I might have twenty productive years left. That isn't much time. Based on the last 30 years that is about two more big projects with books and shows. Life is short. This forum has been of great help and it works best when we are real but civil.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Most congenial forum?

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned what seems to me the perfectly obvious reason that this forum is so congenial: since we all carry around this heavy equipment, we're all too tired to fight!

Most congenial forum?

By the way, it has nothing to do with age. My kids don't fight either when they're tired.

Most congenial forum?

Hi guys and dolls

I am going to severely reprimand the lot of you !!

I believe that if think about a question I was asked by a remarkably intelligent young lady you will start to see why you need to be reprimanded. This lady and her husband build rally cars as an adjunct to their main garage business.

Q./ with some anger “WHY CAN’T PEOPLE SEE THE CONSEQUERNCE OF THEIR ACTIONS” I will leave the object that was in view anonymous except to say it was not well designed.

I believe people “can’t / don’t “ see because they have not learned to “look”

Clue what do you do when setting up a shot. “ look”

What do you do when developing film “look”?

What do you when printing “look”?

After you have looked at favourite great photographer’s prints – do you not get the feeling you have “seen” and in seeing discovered.

A more subtle point which most of you can reasonably be forgiven for not noticing is the use of the English language. I am happy to suggest that this site attracts an uncommonly high level of intelligence as English used is clearly, competently and often eruditely composed without rancour even to the simplest of questions, which, to me, demonstrates a genuine desire to impart information to teach and encourage without the need for self engrandisment. I suggest too that the sad sites where rancour is common ego is also common.

This “look” “see” thing is curious one but I suspect that the more you look into it, on a daily basis, the more you will see that a lot of people around you appear to neither see nor look. Racecar engineers look and can see what is happening to their cars – they have to or they don’t win and who needs a racecar that is not winning. Sadly I believe a lot of professions get away with some appallingly low level of quality but I am sure that is another story for another place.

So my humble opinion is that this site, it’s organisers, contributors and readers are relatively unique. You Look therefore you can see. You have the intelligence to understand what you see. You have the self-confidence not to need “ego” to achieve, so you feely impart knowledge.

Keep on Looking

Keep on seeing

Keep on writing

Best Regards Rob Hale

Most congenial forum?

Rob,

I'm probably missing something. Why are we being repremanded?

You seem to like 'us' and feel that we are unique but start your post with a tongue-in-cheek repremand. I think you forgot a sentence or so in there somewhere.