Thread: Travelite sync cord issues

Travelite sync cord issues

A great friend recently gave me two Calumet Travelites, a 750 and a 250, both made by Bowens.
    all of the normal test procedures work perfectly for setting power, on off switches, modeling light ratios, etc, but the sync cord sockets will not fire the flashes.

These were stored in the open in a dusty and humid warehouse environment for years, so I suspect that it is some kind of environmental issue within the socket itself (these use the standard phone jack or guitar amp type of plug in sockets and plugs just like the White Lightning system and the other Bowens flashes), but I need advice on how to precede.

I have tested these with the original cords and with my Whilte Lightning cord with the same lack of firing. at the same time, I used the original cords and my white lightning cords to fire one of my Ultras with no sign of a problem. My conclusion is that the problem is in the socket in the units since everything else checks out properly.

Any suggestions are more than welcome as far as how to attempt cleaning the inside of the sockets in order to try to make the contact fire properly.

Thanks.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Travelite sync cord issues

I would look inside and perhaps replace them.

Sounds more like a wire has come off as those jacks are very reliable.

Trying scratching the contacts with a dental pick or emery cloth.
    Tin Can

Thanks for the advice, Randy.

I have very limited knowledge of electronics, but if a wire was loose, would that not also prevent the flashes from firing from the test button? That works perfectly, so unless there is a different circuitry for the sockets, I am confsed by one working and the other not.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Randy.

I have very limited knowledge of electronics, but if a wire was loose, would that not also prevent the flashes from firing from the test button? That works perfectly, so unless there is a different circuitry for the sockets, I am confsed by one working and the other not.
    A word of warning. There is very lethal voltage and amperage in the capacitors inside those flash units. If you inadvertently short the capacitors while fooling around inside the problem that you have now will be the least of your survivor's problems. If you are not experienced in the insides of an electronic flash let someone who is find and fix the problem!

@Lenser, yes you do not know enough, as shown by your wiring question.
    Tin Can

Thanks for the warnings, gentlemen, but my question was and is about cleaning the inside of the socket, NEVER about trying to repair it myself. I am well aware of the lethality of the capacitors.

with mine..sometimes you have to pull it out just a teeny bit..don't know why

I remember hearing sizing problems with non old style USA 1/4" phone plugs. Wikipedia goes into it in depth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

These were once a very reliable male and female low voltage/amperage connector.
    Tin Can

Thanks everyone. I remember having the problem DrTang describes many years ago when I used Bowens Monolights. Having to pull them out a bit was routine if I wanted to get contact. That isn't helping here, though.

Randy, I will read that, sounds like pat of the solution may be in there.

In the mean time, I stopped by the local music store that handles most of the repairs in our city and got the name of the guy that repairs all of the guitar amps for them. We talked yesterday and he suggested that it could well be simple tarnish on the inside and that he may be able to cure that if the tin coating hasn't totally worn through to the brass. If it has, he suggested replacement which he assured me he could do in spite of the capacitor issues. We will meet next week and I will post the results after he works on them.

In the mean time, all other ideas are very welcome.