Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 90mm wide angle in barrel - ? for 4X5

Re: 90mm wide angle in barrel - ? for 4X5

Well crap - I may as well just forget it. Sounds like there is just no way to get the corners as sharp as the middle without stopping down considerably (or spending a lot more $) I have a 115mm Grandagon that is quite a performer but just not near as wide and much heavier than the 90mm SA & A.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

The small Angulon and Optar 90s fit in a Graphic when it is closed. This can be an important consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Well crap - I may as well just forget it. Sounds like there is just no way to get the corners as sharp as the middle without stopping down considerably (or spending a lot more $) I have a 115mm Grandagon that is quite a performer but just not near as wide and much heavier than the 90mm SA & A.
    The Travelwide was designed to be light weight and use the small light 90mm f6.8 Angulon. A 90mm Super Angulon f5.6 or f8 (or later f6.8) is quite a bit larger and heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The small Angulon and Optar 90s fit in a Graphic when it is closed. This can be an important consideration.
    That's why my 90mm f6.8 Angulon is part of my light weight LF kit in Turkey and by shooting with HP5 when working hand-held I have no problems shooting at f16 or even f22 achieving the best from the lens.

It's horses for courses the these Angulons and Raptars are great little lenses provided you don't need to use movements, the most I'm using in Tyrkey/Greece is front tilt and I can compensate with rise/fall to keep within the image circle.

Bob Salomon is commenting from a different viewpoint which is valid where you need a WA with greater coverage for movements, his experiences of the 90mm Angulon may well have been in more challenging conditions, however there are a lot of photographers using these lenses and achieving excellent results.

You should try one Randy.

Ian

Randy, a good Angulon is pretty good to the far corners when stopped down to at least f/11 and can be very good at f/16 or f/22. Are you absolutely stuck on shooting wide open? Wouldn't f/11 be close enough?

No, wide open is not mandatory, I was just hoping that option would be there if lighting required. I'll keep my eye out for an Angulon. Guess I could always resell if I wasn't terribly happy.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Look for a later version.