Thread: A couple more from Ye Olde Shen Hao 4x5

A couple more from Ye Olde Shen Hao 4x5

Spent a few hours this morning testing out a new lens for my 4x5. I snagged a Nikon 65mm f/4 earlier this week from dave4242, so I headed down to the capital building to try it out.

I managed to get at least ONE good image, and maybe a second (once I get a change to scan it!)

Shen Hao HZX45 IIA
    Nikkor 65mm f/4
    Ilford Delta 100 (N0)
    2 sec.
    F/22
    Developed in Ilford DD-X 1+4 at 68°F for 10:30 w/ 1-min agitations.

Re: A couple more from Ye Olde Shen Hao 4x5

Shen Hao HZX45 IIA
    Nikkor 65mm f/4
    Ilford Delta 100 (N0)
    9 sec.
    F/22

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post

Shen Hao HZX45 IIA

Nikkor 65mm f/4
    Ilford Delta 100 (N0)
    9 sec.
    F/22
    Nice ones

Wonderful pictures, I'm sure you are very pleased with the super wide addition to your kit.

Earlier this year I picked up a Fujinon SWD 65 and started playing with it instantly on my Shen Hao 4x5, then I had a very hard look at the negatives and noticed that there was certainly considerable fall off the further one went from the centre. Certainly far worse than my 90mm and within reason, the fall off was going to be a little hard to cover up in the printing of the negatives.

Luckily I happened upon a centre filter at the right price about 1 day after coming to the conclusion it would certainly be better to have a centre filter, well that was the way I was thinking anyway. I took a gamble and bought a Heliopan centre filter, it arrived, I went and did two sheets of a static subject, one with and one without; I haven't used the 65mm lens without the centre filter since.

I may in the future use the lens without the filter for artistic purposes, but realistically, not a chance in hell normally.

Today I enlarged a negative shot with my 65mm lens, I didn't need to do any corrections for edge fall off at all, just a straight print.

If you look at your second floor shot, from the centre door with the fancy white plaster stuff just above it. Then go up to the figures higher up, going to the right one sees the second figure, the image starts to get slightly darker about where the second figure is, past the second figure and you can see the deepening darkness the further away from the centre. The image as presented does the same darkening to the left. This creeping darkness is right through my negatives and I'm sure in most cases it will be the same for yours.

If at all possible borrow a centre filter and take one shot to see if this is something you would like to virtually eliminate. I noticed one helluva difference just looking at the ground glass, let alone at my negatives on the light box.

You may not like the light loss (1.5 stops) but to me it was a revelation to know I can use my 65mm the same as my 150/210/250/400 and not have to worry about fall off, I just need to remember the 1.5 stops extra light, but that's part and parcel of the fun.

Anyway once again, I really like both shots as presented.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post

If you look at your second floor shot, from the centre door with the fancy white plaster stuff just above it. Then go up to the figures higher up, going to the right one sees the second figure, the image starts to get slightly darker about where the second figure is, past the second figure and you can see the deepening darkness the further away from the centre. The image as presented does the same darkening to the left. This creeping darkness is right through my negatives and I'm sure in most cases it will be the same for yours...........

The light fall-off is due to the way the scene is lit. There's a dome above all this, and the sun is streaming in through windows, striking the opposite side of the dome interior (see the first shot). This scews the way the light splays down into the rotunda. There's also other artificial light sources outside the frame. In addition, the building is not symmetrical outside the image.... it is much longer on the left than it is to the right.

No problems.

Mick.