Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Re: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Yes, great customer service and product. I have a development protocol that solved the under-processed stripe across the middle of the negative. I think this issue was partially caused by my use of Pyrocat-MC in glycol, which probably has a different consistency than most developers. But I'm happy, and with the purchase of a second 5x7" reel, I will have two fully functional tanks.

Thank you bw-man!

David

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPRyan View Post
    Well I'm actually quite astounded that bw-man has sent me a new reel AND tank! I have not seen customer service like this in a very long time. It is rare. I actually received it a while back and was out of town so I didn't realize it was even here. If anyone is interested in his product I wouldn't hesitate for one minute with the purchase. I'm so glad there are people like this in the photo community. Refreshing.
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Can the 5x7 tank be used for developing 4x5 as well?

Yes, I believe I've done this. Since 5x7's are loaded in length wise, the width of the slot in the reel is 5". Therefore, you can load a 4x5 sheet in width-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    Can the 5x7 tank be used for developing 4x5 as well?
    David Aimone Photography

Thanks that is an important detail, as it means the tank is more useful to me. I intend to get one when I expand into 5x7 soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    Yes, I believe I've done this. Since 5x7's are loaded in length wise, the width of the slot in the reel is 5". Therefore, you can load a 4x5 sheet in width-wise.

The only downside is you'll be using 1.35 liters of developer for six 4x5's.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    Thanks that is an important detail, as it means the tank is more useful to me. I intend to get one when I expand into 5x7 soon.
    David Aimone Photography

Two things to report on the 5x7 B-W King tank:

First, I think the streaks that I was getting down the middle of the images at times was mostly due to using Pyrocat MC in glycol. This developer and this tank are touch and go. I have used it now with Rodinal and Caffenol a number of times and no streaks whatsoever.

Second, because of the perceived rust issue on the original tops, B-W Man was nice enough to send us all new tanks/tops. So I had two tanks and one reel. I ordered a 5x7 reel alone from him to make two complete sets and lo and behold, an entire tank system arrives. Now I have 3 tanks/tops and two reels. Great customer service, but how does he stay in business?

Thank you B-W King!
    David Aimone Photography

Two things to report on the 5x7 B-W King tank:

First, I think the streaks that I was getting down the middle of the images at times was mostly due to using Pyrocat MC in glycol. This developer and this tank are touch and go. I have used it now with Rodinal and Caffenol a number of times and no streaks whatsoever.

Second, because of the perceived rust issue on the original tops, B-W Man was nice enough to send us all new tanks/tops. So I had two tanks and one reel. I ordered a 5x7 reel alone from him to make two complete sets and lo and behold, an entire tank system arrives. Now I have 3 tanks/tops and two reels. Great customer service, but how does he stay in business?

Thank you B-W King!
    Dear David Aimone
    Thank you for your comments on B&W KING.
    I am a photographer, not a very qualified salesman.
    In developing the film, I found that many development tanks have different advantages and disadvantages.Then came the idea of designing a development tank for your own use.The birth of B&W KING was designed for my own use first. It can be welcomed by photographers from various countries and its success is an honor to me. I pay more attention to it.I have no higher requirement for sales and profit.Ensuring B&W KING's performance and service is the first priority.
    B&W KING has had many design changes and process changes in the production process.The lid of the can is sprayed with Teflon to overcome the problem that QPQ is prone to rust.Every user of B&W KING requests an upgrade, and I am obligated to do so.Because the diameter of each developing canister varies slightly, different canisters may leak with different canisters.I decided to use the symbolic price of one dollar to mail a set of perfect development canisters, each photographer's use of the flawless B&W KING.This is for the B&W KING brand, because I am also a B&W KING photographer.
    Some photographers buy B&W KING again, or even film mounts alone.This is the high evaluation and affirmation of B&W KING.Due to the precision of the film mounting frame, to prevent the transportation from colliding deformation, I used stainless steel cans as the packaging.These tanks are likely to have small scratches and deformations, but can be well filled with liquid.
    I hope more photographers can know, use and love B&W KING.
    thank you

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tefion.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	179565

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91450_1503044937.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	179567
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QPQ.jpg  

Difficulty and known problem with teflon coated metal surfaces that rub, the teflon coating will wear and over time disappear due to friction and abrasion. It is very difficult to hold tolerances required for a fluid seal for drawn and stamped metal parts. If the fit is too loose, the tank will leak, if the fit is too tight there will be difficult putting the parts together. To achieve a functional fit there must be some give in both of the parts involved to allow for tolerances and elasticity of the metal parts. Material thickness of the parts can make a very significant difference in the parts ability to be elastic enough yet springy enough to achieve a good fluid seal and allow for production tolerances.

Alternative would be to make the lid from a proper type of plastic. This is what Kindermann did in their developing tanks and they do not leak, hold up just fine over decades of servie, do not tent when dropped as metal parts will, and solves the problem of metal part tolerances and sealing.

Bernice

The tank in fact does leak. But it's meant to be used with rotation, not inversion.

HOWEVER, I use it with both rotation and inversion. A simple piece of electrical tape around the seal does the trick beautifully. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Difficulty and known problem with teflon coated metal surfaces that rub, the teflon coating will wear and over time disappear due to friction and abrasion. It is very difficult to hold tolerances required for a fluid seal for drawn and stamped metal parts. If the fit is too loose, the tank will leak, if the fit is too tight there will be difficult putting the parts together. To achieve a functional fit there must be some give in both of the parts involved to allow for tolerances and elasticity of the metal parts. Material thickness of the parts can make a very significant difference in the parts ability to be elastic enough yet springy enough to achieve a good fluid seal and allow for production tolerances.

Alternative would be to make the lid from a proper type of plastic. This is what Kindermann did in their developing tanks and they do not leak, hold up just fine over decades of servie, do not tent when dropped as metal parts will, and solves the problem of metal part tolerances and sealing.

Bernice
    David Aimone Photography

Not saying this tank leaks by any means. The information is intended to note the difficulties and problems with making a tank like this with minimal to no leaks, it is no small task. There are many technical aspects combined with the realities of production that makes stuff like this more difficult to produce than it may appear.

Bernice

The tank in fact does leak. But it's meant to be used with rotation, not inversion.

HOWEVER, I use it with both rotation and inversion. A simple piece of electrical tape around the seal does the trick beautifully. Easy.