Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

Re: Anyone use the B&W King 5x7 (or 4x5) developing reel & tank (Nikor-like)?

For anyone using these tanks having rotation problems (hanging-up when you change from CW to CCW), check to see if the bottom rollers on the reels are all touching evenly on a smooth surface. I needed to bend the support arms for the rollers very slightly (up or down) to prevent the reel from "rocking" to one side. Now both of the sets I purchased turn very smoothly. The first batch of twenty negatives (4x5) are as perfect, from a development point, as I can see. I am very pleased with this product and Liu's correspondence with me on some questions I had for him.

Hi David,

I've just started using a B&W King 5x7 tank, and I'm getting very uneven development. I'm using xTol 1:1 with Tri-x 320, which gives me a 9 minute development time (from Kodak's data sheet). Could you tell me how long a development time are you using, and if you don't mind the frequency of rotations and inversions. Also are you doing any additional agitation for the first minute?

I'm hoping that better technique will give me better results, the labs here in Melbourne charge $15 a sheet - which makes processing my own very attractive - so long as I can get decent results.

Thanks, David

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    A personal update on using my 5x7 B&W King tank. I'm now getting perfect development with the following modification. After loading the tank, I use electrical tape to seal the top onto the bottom of the tank. When agitating, I alternate between internal rotation and inverting the tank by holding the little cap tightly on top. The electrical tape prevents leakage around the tank.

I was getting a faint vertical streak on my negatives where the non-emulsion side rested against the metal bar in the middle of the negative. The combination of rotation and inversion seems to have solved this issue and produces nice and evenly developed negatives. Since others have not had this problem, I am assuming it was due to either the film or the developer I'm using, or that the fixer wasn't clearing completely. I don't know, but this seems to have solved the problem nicely.

I'm using Pyrocat MC 1+2+100 on this Arista (Fomapan) 400 for about 14 minutes (11 minutes for Arista 100). Agitate full first minute, but fairly gentle, slow inversions to start then setting it down and rotations. Then 10 seconds every minute, gentle inversions every 2 seconds or so for one cycle, rotations the next cycle, back and forth. It might be overkill to alternate inversions and rotations but it seems to work better for me than either of the two alone. And with Pyrocat, the inversions and rotations seem to like gentle and not too fast, so a cycle about every two seconds per inversion or rotation. The image of mine posted was with this newest approach.

Hope that helps. 4x5 I do with these films continuous in a Jobo on a motor base-- 11 and 8:30 for 400 and 100 ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by travelight View Post
    Hi David,

I've just started using a B&W King 5x7 tank, and I'm getting very uneven development. I'm using xTol 1:1 with Tri-x 320, which gives me a 9 minute development time (from Kodak's data sheet). Could you tell me how long a development time are you using, and if you don't mind the frequency of rotations and inversions. Also are you doing any additional agitation for the first minute?

I'm hoping that better technique will give me better results, the labs here in Melbourne charge $15 a sheet - which makes processing my own very attractive - so long as I can get decent results.

Thanks, David
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...