Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iceland Car Rental

Re: Iceland Car Rental

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    I will be in Iceland next May and need a car to tour the ring road and much beneficial if i got this Parking at Auckland Airport.

Can anyone recommend a car rental agency they were happy with and any I should avoid.

Much appreciated.
    Hi
    you can go through gocarrental.is

Les

I've heard of Blue and they seem good and read about www.sixt.com , but have some skepticism. You look at the site and $10/day is hovering and when you see the real deal is over $30. Typical....(fill in expletives).

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Gudmundur Ingolfsson View Post
    For the ring road in May you need no 4x4. Rent as small a car as possible because rental cars in Iceland are expensive. Hertz , Avis, Europacar (www.holdur.is), a german company Hasso (www.hasso.is) all have relativly new cars that are relieable. If you fly Icelandair, they own the Herz agency in Iceland and they might give you a better deal if you book your rental car +flight. Book your car before you come to avoid sales tax and do not do business with rentals that rent out old cars although cheep.
    We are thinking of going to Iceland next year, how much is the sales tax? Also, is there a VAT type of tax, or is this the sales tax you mentioned?

Mick.

I would advocate not taking the ring road, in fact not going to any of the usual sightseeing spots in Iceland.

The ring road is a good road for getting to the roads you really want to take;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    We rented a Toyota Yaris from carrental. For a small extra fee they dropped it off at our hotel in Reykjavik so we didn't have to worry about it until we were ready to leave the city. We declined the GPS they wanted to rent us, but they threw it in anyway, and a good thing as finding their location near the airport for dropoff would have been near impossible without it. They were easy to deal with and the rate was good. Yes, a Yaris is small but it's fully appropriate for the roads in Iceland, which are not wide. And with a national speed limit of 100kph on the bigger roads you won't need any more car than a Yaris or equivalent microbox.
    Hi
    How much you have paid to the car rental company for whole trip???

Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by rose dawson View Post
    Hi
    How much you have paid to the car rental company for whole trip???
    Sorry but at this point I honestly can't recall but you should be able to find out easily enough on the web. It was somewhat more than a US rental from one of the less expensive national firms (Enterprise, Alamo, Budget, National, for example), but not terrifyingly so. Fuel was around USD8.50 per gallon when we were there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    Sorry but at this point I honestly can't recall but you should be able to find out easily enough on the web. It was somewhat more than a US rental from one of the less expensive national firms (Enterprise, Alamo, Budget, National, for example), but not terrifyingly so. Fuel was around USD8.50 per gallon when we were there.
    Thanks Steve
    I got the point. Can you send me the link of that website.