Thread: Gitzo 1570m: Best way to adapt an Arca clamp to the head? + Longer left/right handle?

Gitzo 1570m: Best way to adapt an Arca clamp to the head? + Longer left/right handle?

I am in search of a 3 way head for use with arca swiss 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. After playing around with the 1570m I started to wonder how one is to mount a arca swiss type clamp to the head to facilitate the attachment of the arca swiss optical bench/camera. The horizontal/mounting platform of the 1570m is very large and the clamp tightening knob would likely not clear the platform (its too short). The solution might be raising the clamp a bit using a spacer.. but this seems like an awkward solution that adds an additional weakness in head stability. It would be nice to have a clamp run all the way along the platform itself, but this, in addition to the extra long tightening knobs, would perhaps need to be custom designed..??

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on/with how to best adapt an arca swiss clamp to the 1570m head?

Furthermore, I have noticed that the left/right tilt handle on the head was significantly smaller than the fore/aft handle which impacted on the degree of finesse one had at disposal in controlling the left/right tilt.

Can the left/right handle be replaced by a longer one? Any experience or suggestions on how that might best be done?

Cheers,

Marko

Re: Gitzo 1570m: Best way to adapt an Arca clamp to the head? + Longer left/right han

How committed are you to the Arca standard? Something like a Manfrotto 357 doesn't have a big knob to get in the way, the clamp itself has two holes so you could screw it to the platform twice over, and it uses a fairly long plate. Of course, for your Arca cameras, you need the smaller Arca dovetail if you want to fit the rail directly into the clamp. For that, you'll need something like the Arca Fliplock QR, which lacks a big knob to run into anything so that would solve part of your problem at least. If you're OK with the larger dovetail, you might look into some of the other lever-type QR clamps out there. Since the platform on the Gitzo head is so long, you could even put two clamps on for extra security.

And how committed are you to the 1570m head? If you're using it with big field cameras, it seems like the contact area of the head's platform is an advantage that you'd be completely negating by addition of a QR system. If you want an Arca type QR on a solid head for use with 4x5 and 8x10, why not get something like an Arca C1 Cube? Obviously they're expensive, but they're also very good.

Re: Gitzo 1570m: Best way to adapt an Arca clamp to the head? + Longer left/right han

get an extra long clamp with two mounting holes (or add a second hole with a drill press) and just add a thick washer under each connection. I've done that for a three way head that I added an arca style clamp to. Depending on the style of knob, you don't need much clearance at all. The problem with the flip lock and many cameras is you can't get to the flip lock to unlatch it (I learned the hard way) AND the flip lock freezes up in cold weather.
    @david, he's already looked into the Cube.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    AND the flip lock freezes up in cold weather.
    I've not run into that, but I'm not surprised now that I think about it. Good to know.

I use a piece of flat bar stock aluminum between the clamp and the head.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

[QUOTE=l2oBiN;934127]I am in search of a 3 way head for use with arca swiss 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. After playing around with the 1570m I started to wonder how one is to mount a arca swiss type clamp to the head to facilitate the attachment of the arca swiss optical bench/camera. The horizontal/mounting platform of the 1570m is very large and the clamp tightening knob would likely not clear the platform (its too short). The solution might be raising the clamp a bit using a spacer.. but this seems like an awkward solution that adds an additional weakness in head stability. It would be nice to have a clamp run all the way along the platform itself, but this, in addition to the extra long tightening knobs, would perhaps need to be custom designed..??

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on/with how to best adapt an arca swiss clamp to the 1570m head?

Kirk Photo will supply a quick release clamp (QRC-4 has a length of 4 inches) with an extra long spindle leading to the knob. This gains an extra 1 inch and the knob will then clear the platform of the 1570M. The additional charge for the extra long spindle on a QRC-4 is $50. Hope that helps, Paul.

Acratech makes a lever clamp which has a width adjusting screw on the opposite side. I believe it would clear the mounting plate of the tripod. I just picked up a Sunwayfoto lever clamp which has a similar design. Sunwayfoto makes at least 2 different versions. The version I got which I mounted on a Tiltall tripod and clamped an Arca Swiss 4x5 F-line in was labeled "Long Handle Flush Mount Sunwayfoto Duo-Lever DLC-60LX 60mm Clamp" (ebay seller oeccamera). It cost $55.

I like it enough I'm going to buy another one.

jeff