Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanderlust travelwide first impressions

Wanderlust travelwide first impressions

My travelwide arrived yesterday.
    It was late in the day and heavy rain made the box it came in wet . Still much excitement about opening it up and setting it up, even though it was way after the time to break for the day and go home.

I set up the lens, rangefinder and cable release. I went with the smaller lens for starters as this would not really be a "travel" camera with an SA...

The "sports finder" is something i am having a hard time understanding, both function and use. What is it for? How do you use it? Mine arrived slightly bent, but i put it right, and still, i am not sure what to do with it. I remember a photographing in nature class with a professor who was an RIT graduate turned religious hippie who used to hand out frame mats of various sizes (to corrospond to various camera formats) and said things like "here you hold this up, and look, there is your frame on 6X9 can you see it!!??"... clearly, i did not see it then and do not see it now.

The printz rangefinder is one of those things, that is perhaps a generational gap too wide to traverse. I never could use a IIIf leica either despite years of trying. It does work, and does give accurate range, and given it was dirt cheap i am glad to have had it sitting in a box for 2 years while i waited for the camera to use it with.

The "ground glass" looks nice as part of the camera, but is less then functional when trying to focus, forget about seeing what it is you are actually framing. Wide angle, i get it, shoot from the hip, aim in the general direction etc., but then what is the point of that thing...? If you thought the 6.8 was gloomy, wait until i try the F8 SA... Has anyone seen otherwise? please enlighten me.

The overall external finish is something to be marveled at from a far. It looks serious. It looks like a mass made thing. It looks like it is completely natural that this is the way a camera would look. But dont look too close now. The inside of the camera is not quite as certain what it wants to be as the front. There is some flocking. Why? Some of it is not fully adhered to the body, i am sure thats to be expected given the shape of the inside and the nature of flocking which is not really a flexible thing. Still.

I am lucky enough to have a "real" lens wrench, but i doubt every LF shooter has one, or needs one. You need one for this set up, or you need some might small fingers to do up a lens mounting ring on the back side of the helical. This would have been a nice place to have the promised but not delivered lens wrench bottle opener smiley face bookmark gadget, or some kind of new methodology to explain how to do this. I did not delve into the tiny print manual though maybe i missed something there... Ill go again and look tomorrow.

The accessory shoes are tight. This is both a good thing and not so great thing, and i am not sure how this will behave in real hot climate. Pushing things on makes them stay and secure. Pulling them off without breaking anything is another story, but perhaps it will wear in eventually and still work as it should, only time and use can tell.

Then there is the helical. I read many a LFPF thread and KS update posts about this, fitment and other related issues. I am not sure what the deal with all those posts were, because its a tough cookie to turn, though it does move. I can't say for sure i am not doing something wrong, but smooth is not the word i would use to describe the motion of the helical. I like the material the camera is made of like i said above, i do not like the material the helical is made of. I am not worried it will break or something like that, but i wish it was smooth and cool looking like the rest.

I am certainly not sure what or how the two cable release tubes on either side are functional without some serious modification, though i guess with a nice 30cm locking cable release unit they would hold it somewhat out of the way, though that would make using it more complicated then the benefit. So far the shorty cable seems to be easier to work with, though, again, unless you are on a tripod, i am not sure how having a cable release really benefits anything at all.

Overall, this is a cool project, and the price point is 100% correct. . I love it, i really do, despite all the above mentioned minor and nitpickey pitfalls. You pay for what you get. Pay more, and get a more serious travel wide 4X5 camera with real glass on the back and real view finders. Pay less, and get a 4X5 shooting holga, with a fancy lens and more guessing added to the game. Will i enjoy shooting this? I doubt it. Can this be the next hipster advanced level men only merchandising magazine top 10 things to own before you grow out of it (and move on to the magazine where some point and shoot leica is in the top ten, right after maui jims and speakman shower heads)? Absolutely.

Does this mean i cannot be a hipster even if i carry this around? who knows, but it sure can take one most of the way there, just add some skinny jeans and thick framed glasses (http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Hipster - skip to part #3).

Re: Wanderlust travelwide first impressions

So disappointed with these words.
    Tin Can

I forgot to mention one last thing:
    Unless i am completely missing something, there is no way to attache a shoulder strap to what is essentially a hand held carry around camera.
    Perhaps that is one for the MKII travelwide?

I am not sure what the deal with all those posts were, because its a tough cookie to turn, though it does move. I can't say for sure i am not doing something wrong, but smooth is not the word i would use to describe the motion of the helical.
    When I first took it out of the box, the first thing I did was turn the helical. It was smooth but you really had to grip it. After a day out of the box, it became slightly more difficult to turn. But that's okay. I certainly don't want the thing turning out of focus when I go to shoot... that's what my Holga does! And... I think this is a pretty good deal for what we paid.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    I forgot to mention one last thing:
    Unless i am completely missing something, there is no way to attache a shoulder strap to what is essentially a hand held carry around camera.
    Perhaps that is one for the MKII travelwide?
    You can drill a couple holes near the ends of one of the hollow tubes that are on the side and then put some keychain loops on it to attach a camera strap to.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I will buy one of these in a heartbeat when I can get on the next list. The sports finder doesn't look very hard to figure out. I'd suggest putting your eye at a distance that puts the frame on the back on top of the frame on the front and checking to see if that corresponds to the gg. I'd probably use an optical one off a Crown or Speed graphic in the shoe instead; I think with all the masks taken off they are for a 90mm lens. Not sure why the gg is non-functional to you. Flocking on the inside is probably to lessen reflections. Clearly lots of people are using lenses with image circles bigger than the 90 Angulon. I've never seen a camera come with a lens wrench. I couldn't imagine not having my Steve Grimes lens wrench/ I've got one like the one I see in your photo but never use it because it doesn't work in tight spaces. The shoes are tight -- better than being too loose. Not everything that goes in a shoe is the same height so.... I suspect the focus will loosen up with use, but they have to compromise and not everybody will agree on what is tight or loose. I can see the intent on the cable release tubes. You can use a shorter release and let it dangle if you want to. If there is no way to put a strap on it I see your point. Not sure I follow the hipster skinny jeans commentary. I know exactly what I'd use it for.

I am not disappointed after reading the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    You can drill a couple holes near the ends of one of the hollow tubes that are on the side and then put some keychain loops on it to attach a camera strap to.
    I could use a cambo wide also, and they could have included strap loops in the body . Not a big deal, but for all the travelling involved, you would think that would be the first thing on someones mind.

- strap - use your initiative. Thread one or some cord through one of the grips. I'm sure Ben made this clear in one of the early posts on this forum when the idea first surfaced.

- sports finder - personally I'll not use it, but the impression I got was that this was an added extra to get folk shooting before they sourced a proper finder.

- cable release - I don't really understand your beef with this, unless you're saying your particular cable release isn't long enough.

- ground glass - The guys made it clear this was primarily for calibration.

- lens wrench - far from being "promised" the lens wrench idea was, as far as I remember, and added extra well after the initial backing. So you can't really complain when it isn't there. Surely every LF shooter has a lens spanner, or how the hell are folk mounting their lenses to boards? Or do as I did when I started and use a pair of scissors carefully.

"Pay more, and get a more serious travel wide 4X5 camera with real glass on the back and real view finders." .... and presumably one that weighs a lot more, unless you know of any travelwide alternative that isn't either a homemade wooden box camera or a full metal offering?

Kon303: Thanks for your unboxing first inpressions. I am hoping someone will do a youtube presentation soon.

It-is-what-it-is as they say nowadays. This was never presented as a high end super camera. It has always been known to be a project camera that the shooter will have to adapt to their own way of shooting. The GG has always been known to be an inexpensive compromise, pretty much to be used for calibrating the helical. For the story on the helical, re-read the thread posts about tolerances, as designed and as manufactured. That one problem is the main reason the project took 2 1/2 years to come to fruition.

The catch phrase on my wife's favorite reality show is "Make work people!" And there is a growing legion of photographers out there who are gleefully finding ways to make this camera work for them, and cheerfully sharing out their ideas. Part of the coolness of this camera is figuring these things out.

I will flat out offer you whatever you have paid for this camera, and I am sure that there are others who would too.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have mine set up. For a wrist strap I just dropped a thick cord through the hole on the left hand side and tied the ends together . Works fine until I decide if I want a neck strap. My cable release was dropped into the hole on the right hand side and fits perfectly. With a Voigtlander view finder mounted plus a shoe mount level mounted on the left I am ready to roll. Total weight with the above and one double sided film holder installed is 28 oz. with 90 Angulon in late model Syncro-compur shutter. Not bad a all!