Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Universal polaroid 110/900 to 4X5 conversion project

Universal polaroid 110/900 to 4X5 conversion project

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...oder?ref=email

Most definitely worth a mention, specially in light of the high price to buy one of the custom made ones...

Re: Universal polaroid 110/900 to 4X5 conversion project

Great Googly-Moogly!

You mean that all the drama in the early 2Ks over modifying the 110 Polaroids was just spitting into the wind?

This genius seems to have figured a way to convert the Polaroid bodies to accept several formats of instant pack films and many 4x5 sheet film holders without drastically cutting away large parts of the camera or doing heroic internal machining.

Did I get most of that right from the video?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

And there are piles of nice donor cameras everywhere. They sell for less. I think we have 10 here.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Great Googly-Moogly!

You mean that all the drama in the early 2Ks over modifying the 110 Polaroids was just spitting into the wind?

This genius seems to have figured a way to convert the Polaroid bodies to accept several formats of instant pack films and many 4x5 sheet film holders without drastically cutting away large parts of the camera or doing heroic internal machining.

Did I get most of that right from the video?
    you took the words right out of my mouth.
    The most amazing part are the "conversion wars" between the main players. That would have made a real good reality show.

the issue I have with this conversion back is that your eye is fairly far back from the viewfinder. This is an issue I found with other conversions as well. The Byron seems to solve this issue however one thing the Byron can't use is Polaroid 545 backs and new55 film
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I had a hard time working through and reading the graphic explaining the Rewards for supporting this project. Anybody have a clear idea of what gets what?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Looks pretty cool. I did a similar conversion myself, but made the new back out of wood. I need that little piece he screwed into the bed in the first shot of the video!

3-D printers and the associated software are relatively cheap today. For under $20K startup he can be turning out backs lickety split. It's a new world out there.

Quote Originally Posted by beemermark View Post
    3-D printers and the associated software are relatively cheap today. For under $20K startup he can be turning out backs lickety split. It's a new world out there.
    they are made of metal. Most likely CNC'd from a solid block. Or i got something wrong in the video.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    they are made of metal. Most likely CNC'd from a solid block. Or i got something wrong in the video.
    "In order to reduce the weight of the new camera back, we trialed 3D printing techniques but the result wasn’t satisfactory due to poor strength and joint connection failure. We then looked into higher strength material like stainless steel, which can be cut with precision and is also good for manufacturing with CNC machining, but it proved too heavy and so we gave up this development. Finally we set our heart on aluminum and engineering plastics and trialed many categories for its strength and maintaining its curves to fit the original camera shape nicely."