Thread: Sinar Norma Bubble Levels

Sinar Norma Bubble Levels

Searching the web didn't yield any OEM levels for my 4x5 Sinar Norma.

I found some "Three Axis 23mm x 15mm T Dual Tube Bubble Spirit Level Screw Mountable" items on ebay. They are just barely wide enough to work. The mounting holes are closer together than the holes in the camera.

To make one of these work for the base of the rear standard I drilled two new holes near the bottom of the "T" and elongated them sideways till the holes nearly broke through the sides of the plastic. I only put screws through these two new holes. I'm quite happy with both the aesthetics and functionality of this replacement. If I were doing it again I probably would put the two new holes up from the bottom of the "T" so that a notch could be used

It looks like it would be even easier to mount them to the sides of the standards. Two existing holes would only need to be carefully elongated out towards the sides.

At $8 for three they seem like a good option. The ebay seller I got them from was jruss71731. The levels seem to be just slightly less sensitive than the OEM levels they replaced.

jeff

Re: Sinar Norma Bubble Levels

I found an exact replacement of the tube part of the levels on the Sinar. Well, someone found them for me.!The original levels are made up of two plastic parts which have been joined. The "standard" tube - mounted in the squarish mount with 2 holes for mounting. I found that it is possible to remove the U/S tube without the mount falling apart, but I did have the advantage of having a few extra levels being available. Will post details later. The company was a dream to deal with even though their business is bulk supplies.

Jason may still have some of his replacement sets available. See the link at the bottom of the page!

Moved.

Rick "whose original bubble levels are still good...for now" Denney

Drew Wiley

I always preferred a separate handheld gravity inclinometer, which can simply be held up against a standard, side or top, to check level and plumb. Way more
    accurate than a little attached level, which I ignore anyway. Normally for architecture you want to VISUALLY harmonize your plumb an level anyway. It's amazing
    how many buildings are not themselves level or straight.

It was Jason who gave me the tip. Geier-bluhm.com.