Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a bag for 8x10 film holders

looking for a bag for 8x10 film holders

Any suggestions for a bag or case to carry 8x10 film holders in the field? I've got a case for the camera and lenses, but so far no good candidates for the holders. I won't be carrying more than a dozen, and only for short distances. Spring is coming!

Erik,

I use a lightweight case designed for a laptop computer. It holds 4 or 5 holders, is just the right size, and was inexpensive.

http://www.gnassgear.com/products/product_info.cfm

I've got the Gnass Gear pouch for 4x5 film holders, and it works really well. I'd be surprised if the 8x10 version wasn't as good.

Bruce Watson

http://www.filmholders.com/ check out the link to 'cordura cases'

Octogenarian

Hi Eric,

I was able to purchase a large insulated bag at my local Bass Pro store for around $10. I also saw similar ones at Wal Mart. This particular bag was designed for carrying a full case of cold canned beer. It seems to be the ideal size for carrying 8X10 film holders. The insulating properties are handy for protecting the film from the heat of the sun. There is a large assortment of those types of bags available at stores that sell outdoor equipment.

Erik,

For a hard case look at Igloo "Playmate" coolers(they come in a couple of sizes) for excellent thermal protection. There are also soft sided coolers available---mine are by California Innovations---that work nicely. The CI-sport is a grip/shoulder bag that carries my 'dorff, half a dozen 8x10 holders, two (small) lenses on thier boards, dark cloth, filter kit, meter and loupe and even has a detachable plastic cart---I think it was about $25 at Costco.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think f64 makes a backpack for an 8x10 that holds camera, film holders ( I think 3 they claim) and lens and outside straps for carrying a tripod. I've never seen one up close so someone else could probably tell you more. You could always leave a film holder out and carry extra film and a small changing bag

The Gnass gear pouch for 8x10 only holds three; four if you don't mind one being loose and folded up inside it. It works well though. I also have the 4x5 one. It holds 10 holders. I'll have to check out Wal-Mart for this other container mentioned.

Why wait until spring to get out and take pictures, Erik? Unless you're in southern California or Arizona at the moment.

I use a padded nylon case that was originally used for VHS recorders. I found it on ebay and I think I got it for around $50.00 or so. I have recently seen them on ebay again. The gentleman who sold it to me apparently got his hands on many of these. They are amazingly well suited for holding 8x10 holders.

On a side note, when my studio was broken into and this case was stolen (it had "mobile cinema" silk screened on the outside) along with all of my holders, the gentleman I purchased it from offered to give me one for free. I highly recommend this product!

Best regards,
    Randy

Eric, Check this bags on ebay. I bought two of them and they perfect. They hold 7 8x10 holders and the whole case is padded. Here is the link:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=WDVW&tc=photo

Actually I think I am getting another one for myself. I lent one to a friend and never saw it again. A well!