Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this the Pacemaker model?

Is this the Pacemaker model?

hello!
    Im about to buy a Speed Graphic Pacemkar, but the seller doesn't know if this is a PACEMAKER model.
    Can anyone confirm it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	141435Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	141437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	141439

thanks alot guys!
    J.

Re: Is this the Pacemaker model?

Yep. Top rangefinder Pacemaker.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

thanks!! what is actually the difference between the top mounted ragefinder and side mounted ?
    ps. the rangefinder doesnt work the seller said, this should not affect shooting if i focus through the gg, right?

To start educating yourself about Graphics, go to www.graflex.org and read the FAQs etc.

Focusing on the GG is independed on the RF.

thanks!

To briefly answer your question, the TRF model uses cams cut for a specific lens. These are kind of hard to find and only work for the lens it was cut for (you could custom grind some if you wanted for other lenses).

The side-mounted (usually Kalart) RF model can be calibrated to any lens, though the calibration process is a bit tricky. However it is doable and many people use them specifically for oddball lenses like the Aero Ektar (I've calibrated about 10 of these, many for AE lenses, and it's a pain!).

Good luck - if you don't need it, don't worry about the RF and just shoot like any other 4x5. The TRF Pacemaker is a great camera. I need to dust off my Army Signal Corps Speeder and shoot with it more.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

To supplement the information on www.graflex.org, consider getting a used copy of Graphic Graflex Photography by Morgan and Morgan, 11th or later edition to cover the top rangefinder model.

As a side note, the rangefinder can also be repaired. Don't be surprised if the only thing from keeping the RF from working is a missing cam... If you ever do want to get it working though, drop me a line. Well, unless it's the cam...you'll have to just keep searching the auction site for that . If it's something else, I've probably got the parts to fix it, and I can set them up. Believe it or not, as big of a pain as calibrating a Kalart can be, it's actually easier than setting up a Graphic rangefinder if it's out of wack...I don't know how the hell they did it at the factory, but adjusting the moving mirror in them is just about the definition of frustrating.

Having the option to go handheld with a rangefinder with 4x5 is nice. Depending on which cam (or any cam) your camera has, it can work really well with a 135 or 150- focal lengths which also work well with focussing on the GG. You would need the matching mask for the viewfinder.

This is all academic if you don't intend to use it handheld but I have always liked the option of an occasional handheld shot. (I have a Crown Pacemaker with the 135 Xenar it came with and use a modern Caltar (Rodenstock) 135 also.

One other reason to get the rangefinder working is the cool red button on the side of the rangefinder. This activates the light bulb in the finder. In low illumination you push the button and you can see the bulb filament projected on the subject . Superimpose the two film entry images and your in focus. Pretty cool for the Truman era!