Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enlarger Recommendations

Enlarger Recommendations

Peter's comments on the Beseler 23c are irrelevant to the Beseler 4x5 series. I've owned and used both, and used Omega D series. The Beseler 23c is an excellent B&W enlarger if you add a cold light head. The dichroic head is useless. The Beseler 4x5 series is a completely different enlarger.

All the enlargers you listed in your question are excellent. The D2 is the oldest design, but they still work and accessories are atill available. I prefer the Beselers but that my be because I learned how to print on a 45 MCRX.

Enlarger Recommendations

I use and like the MXT (with an Aristo 4500 VCL). The motorized head is a very nice convenience feature. Once you get used to this it's hard to use an enlarger without it. I do find it a little difficult to align the negative stage even though I have the latest version that is supposed to be easier to align. With respect to using the upper bellows to adjust for different formats, Beseler sells a little gizmo that can be attached next to the bellows and that tells you exactly how far to raise the bellows for each format. Brian
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Enlarger Recommendations

My comments on the Beseler 23C may be irrelevant to the 4x5 series, or they may not. First of all, I seriously question the integrity of a company that would produce a head so poorly designed as the Dual Dichro. (Note that the Dual Dichro head fires the light straight downward, whereas the Chromegas fire it sideways into a mixing chamber--a much better design!) Secondly, why fool around with an enlarger that may be good or may not be, when you can have the proven industry standard (Omega D-series) for roughly the same price? I must reiterate that in all my years as a printer in many of the finest (well, most reputable anyway) labs in NYC I never saw a single Beseler in use--only Omegas (primarily) and a few Dursts. That was not accidental! Finally, I have done some preliminary tests with my Beseler 23C, removing the color head and replacing it with the original condenser head, and the problem with uneven illumination persists, suggesting that the problem is not with the head but lies somewhere else. A cold light head may work better or it may not, but am I really going to invest the money to find out? I don't think so.

http://www.ravenvision.com/rvapeter.htm

Enlarger Recommendations

After spending most of the day face to face with an enlarger for more than twenty years, I would rank De Vere as the king of these apparatus. A little slow for fast professional working, but very solid and built with a wonderful precision. Of course, it is not made anymore.

I have worked with several Beselers, Dursts and Omegas. What surprised me most with Beseler was it's sensitiveness for vibrations, though it's four point fastened. Also I had the same problems with the Omega Prolab series, though I think it may not disturbe in non- pro working. Today I'm living with one 10x10 De Vere and two 4x5 dicrohead Fujimotos. The 4x5 DichroMoto is reliable and sturdy, only the filmcarriers are childish, I had to rebuild all of them. If I now wanted just one enlarger, I would search for a used De Vere.