Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 35mm sprocket hole photography with LF camera

Re: 35mm sprocket hole photography with LF camera

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Can you explain what a "red/blue polarizer" does? I mean I see the color in the image but can you elaborate?
    Good question. I have found very little information on these filters and this is the first time I have used one. The following is my understanding so far.
    There are single color polarizing filters available ("Polacolor" red, blue or yellow). With a regular polarizer, the light that is polarized in a certain direction gets filtered out. With these colored polarizers, this light instead gets changed to the color of the filter. So when you have a light reflection off some object and you turn the filter a certain way, this reflection is now turned into the filter color. As a side effect, the filter also creates a slight overall color cast in the picture that needs to be corrected later.
    I believe this red/blue polarizer is just a red and a blue polarizer mounted together at a (presumably 90 degree) offset. So depending on how you turn the filter, light polarized in one direction turns red and light polarized a different direction turns blue. And on top of this you also get an overall color cast. It's kind of difficult to predict what the filter is going to do and there is probably very limited use for these things.

One more from the same roll of film. Again with the Red/Blue polarizer, but a more subtle effect this time.

I will have to find some prints and post here. I was given a press camera a couple years ago and was so eager to use it, I set up to use bits of 35mm film in the 4x5 holders put in with electrical tape. I don't recommend electrical tape, too gooey. Pictures came out pretty well, though framing was hit/miss. Anyway, the first LF work I did other than paper neg pin hole work as a kid was with 35 mm strips in the press camera. Its evolved since then.

I like the color strips put up here recently. Pretty neat.