Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Space Photography

Space Photography

I posted this link to the FB group but thought I would post it here in case others might be interested. I recently sent inquires to Smithsonian and NASA asking about the cameras et al that the astronauts used in manned space flight. Got a reply back from folks at Smithsonian. They suggested I read Earthrise by Robert Poole. One of the people this author talks about is Richard W. Underwood you can read about him here http://apps.trb.org/cmsfeed/TRBNetPr...ProjectID=3966

I suspect that many of you grew up during the 60s as I did. The space program was a big part of that time period.

Some of the questions I was asking was about equipment, training, and why did they do what they did, how did they decide what photos to take, how did they set the exposures, what film did they use.

We all have seen the images but few have given much thought or discussion on what happened behind the scenes to produce them.

**PRO**
    **PRO**

Re: Space Photography

I can't help very much. I know they used a bunch of Hasselblads, which I suppose means this thread should be moved—no large format content here.

NASA recently put all 8400 0f the Apollo Mission photos on Flickr. https://www.flickr.com/photos/projec...archive/albums

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

Handles and cranks all had to be specially modified for use with space gloves. Same with tools. One of my clients viewed in person a battery drill last week specially modified for space. I told him where to find it. The basic unit goes for around 8K (has to be totally spark-proof with a nonflammable battery too), plus
    the custom moulded handle. So 16K to 20K wouldn't surprise me. Probably way more if it was a batch order and a custom die was involved for the housing. But
    that might get offset if the unit has been marketed for analogous applications, such as thick Kevlar gloves or especially thick electrical gloves. In this case it was
    one of Elon Musk's high tech ventures (or misadventures?) involved.

Hasselblad has posted this too http://www.hasselblad.com/inspiratio...lblad-in-space

But I was thinking that others on this forum might be interested. The lady that put me onto the Earthrise book is supposedly writing a book for Air & Space on the topic.

All those photos on Flickr are one of the reasons I have asked the questions to Air & Space and NASA. The story behind the photos has yet to be fully told. I don't know about you but I would like to read it.

**PRO**
    **PRO**

**PRO**

**PRO**

Bob Salomon would know for sure, but I believe that on some shuttle missions they used a Linhof Aero Technika with a 5" roll back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Bob Salomon would know for sure, but I believe that on some shuttle missions they used a Linhof Aero Technika with a 5" roll back.
    Why would Bob Salomon know for sure?
    I look forward to some authoritative info.

Mr. Salomon was the Linhof rep for the USA (HP Marketing) for many years, and knows more about Linhof cameras than anyone else who posts here. My own memory of these things is pretty sketchy... I do recall the story that Wally Schirra bought a Hasselblad in a Houston camera store for his Mercury mission; but that may have come from a 'Blad magazine ad.

Rats wrong first link. That is what I get for multitasking.

Read this link about Mr. Richard W Underwood. http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/oral...W_10-17-00.htm Yes Wally did by a Blad and just about didn't get to take to the big dance.
    **PRO**