Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This has got to be the funniest/dumbest question i have every been asked.

Re: This has got to be the funniest/dumbest question i have every been asked.

Quote Originally Posted by jmontague View Post
    I was carrying my Pentax V spot meter in a Zone VI holster on my belt and was asked why I needed a Taser in Rocky Mountain National Park.
    You should have told them that it was for protection against all the man eating bears in the park!

My favorite was the sweet young thing who, after seeing quite a few of my B/W prints, volunteered to be photographed along with a friend. I suggested that she take a look at the image of her friend on the groundglass. She did, and popped out from under the dark cloth with "But I thought you only took black-and-white pictures!"

I later realized that neither of the young ladies had ever seen themselves in a B/W picture--to them what you see in the viewfinder is what you get...

I can't help but chuckle at some of the posts in this thread - and they make me wish the people I encounter could be so pleasantly naive and amusing!

I shoot most of my LF work in my local park (walking distance from my house) and people always comment on my camera. About 25% of them actually has the courage to approach me and talk to me, and mostly, I'm fine with it. Had a chat with a nice elderly guy who used to shoot his Leica a lot, but does mostly film these days.

Surprisingly, several people have already asked me if I were shooting glass plates. Somehow, people easily associate an LF camera exclusively with plates. Overall, I notice that obviously, nearly everyone I talk to when I'm out shooting doesn't have a clue about LF photography, but they all seem genuinely interested. It's a hobby for me, so I'm glad to chat a bit when I'm out and generally it makes for nice conversation.

Yup, its fun to here some of the questions,but i usually try to educate a little.I like the conversation anyway.some times ill show them pics on my phone of prints ive done with the camera ,then they start to understand why im using large format film.its best to be a good advocate for our art form,but like i said i laugh a little at some of the questions.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I think its funny that the same statement is made everytime someone peers through the GG for the first time.... Hey its upside down! when I got my first LF camera I already knew about the world being upside down, I was just dreading trying to focus that way,
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Depends on which side of the film you're looking at.
    With x-ray film, yes, but most large format film has the image on only one side.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    I think its funny that the same statement is made everytime someone peers through the GG for the first time.... Hey its upside down!
    Its the "its bigger on the inside" reaction.

I almost hate to admit this, but i am not perfect in that sense.

After I was finished hauling on the iceroads in the sprint I set up the camera hoping on photographing a tug boat on a calm lake.
    I had a tough time bringing everything into focus. After one or two minutes I realized that I was trying to focus on the reflection.
    As soon as I realized what was happening my mind started working right and I had a nice sharp image in no time.

As a result I don't think that I can look down on anyone looking through my cameras for the first time.

Oh, I have also shown people the inside of the camera, totally baffling them.
    More people have asked me if I can still get film. I should almost say No, and see what they say.
    I've also had 2 people ask me if I can have the image on the ground glass up-righted.
    Children seem to love it when they see their parents upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonG View Post
    Yup, its fun to here some of the questions,but i usually try to educate a little.I like the conversation anyway.some times ill show them pics on my phone of prints ive done with the camera ,then they start to understand why im using large format film.its best to be a good advocate for our art form,but like i said i laugh a little at some of the questions.
    My portfolio isn't usually all that far away, so I often show them some 11x14" prints.
    They are usually impressed, especially when I tell them that they are all done in my actual darkroom.
    When I can point out a barbed wire fence 2km, or power lines 5km away or show them larger prints it seems to impress them even more.

Lady, looking at GG: "It's upside down!"

Me: "Yes, it is."

Her: "Is it always upside down?"

Me: "It had better be. If it isn't, the laws of physics aren't the same everywhere and we have bigger problems than an upside-down picture."
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com