Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This has got to be the funniest/dumbest question i have every been asked.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

This has got to be the funniest/dumbest question i have every been asked.

while out in the field I have been asked many many questions when it comes to the view camera. the usuals....how many megapixels is it, is that a Hasselblad, is that one of those old black and white cameras, can you still get film for that thing, why is everything upside down...yada yada yada. but this one takes it all. this lady, who by the way, is a photographer asked me the usual, why is everything upside down? so I told her why and THEN she asked me .. if I had a darkroom, I said yes, she asked "so you process your own film?" I said yes. she then proceeded to ask me "is the image still upside down after you process it" I said yes unfortunately that is when I have to use the rotating feature on photoshop.(I cant believe how quickly I came up with that one, sounded really convincing, my son who was with me was about to bust a gut) she then said, gosh digital is so much easier, I never have to do that
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Re: This has got to be the funniest/dumbest question i have every been asked.

Once while I was photographing, a young person came up to me to ask me what kind of digital camera my Toyo was. I proceeded to remove the back to show him the empty insides. You should have seen the look on his face.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Just goes to show you how people do not pay attention. When I was in the redwoods years ago with the 8x10 a couple came up the trail and I got ready for whatever question would come. The woman was so excited when I told her I that " hi I'm Ansel Adams grandson, Jim Fitzgerald " I mean really?

Back in the early '80s while photographing in downtown Vancouver during the middle of the day I sensed someone standing watching while I was under the cloth finalizing the focus. I popped out and he asked what I was doing under the cloth. So I showed him. After explaining he should be look at the ground glass rather than trying to look through it he exclaimed "it's upside down!"

I shushed him saying that if he was too loud everybody would hear. I then went on to explain that I always turned the prints upside down before presenting them to the client. He thought that was a good idea.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Haha
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I always tell the idiots that I got the camera cheap because some idiot fitted the back upside down. Keeps them happy.
    Pete.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I still remember the disappointment on a little girl's face when I had to explain, in answer to her question, that no, I was not going to play the accordion...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    [...]The woman was so excited when I told her I that " hi I'm Ansel Adams grandson, Jim Fitzgerald " I mean really?
    Are you?

A student saw my Zeiss Super Ikonta 6x9 on my desk and asked if batteries were still available. I answered, "It doesn't use batteries. It's much like simple clockworks." He glanced at his digital watch, still puzzled.

Dumbest thing I've ever been asked is "I have a camera I really like to take landscapes with. Is it worth it to buy a camera that takes 'tall' pictures?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Just goes to show you how people do not pay attention. When I was in the redwoods years ago with the 8x10 a couple came up the trail and I got ready for whatever question would come. The woman was so excited when I told her I that " hi I'm Ansel Adams grandson, Jim Fitzgerald " I mean really?
    Funny you mention the AA thing, but a reverse of it was when I had to go to DMV for a new license photo, and I joked with the young "photographer" that if I liked the picture, I would order reprints AND enlargements... He said not to worry, because he REALLY was a distant relative of AA...

Picture came out as bad as one would expect on a driver's license... (No print order that day...)

Steve K