Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can not see some photos

Unhappy Can not see some photos

I have noticed that I cannot see photos in some of the threads and/or posts. I cannot figure out why.
    I am attaching a partial screenshot of what I see. I tried on two different computers and on different browsers.
    Please help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen_shot_x_ray_film_thread.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	141247

Re: Can not see some photos

the posts you are looking at date from 2009 - 6 years ago.
    the attached pictures have probably been deleted a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by arkady n. View Post
    I have noticed that I cannot see photos in some of the threads and/or posts. I cannot figure out why.
    I am attaching a partial screenshot of what I see. I tried on two different computers and on different browsers.
    Please help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen_shot_x_ray_film_thread.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	141247
    I don't see the images originally posted either, so I would assume they have been removed by the original poster. We don't remove images administratively, but there is a slight chance that some might be dropped due to an error in the system database.

Oh, I did not notice the date. Thank you for pointing it out.
    I wish the attachments would not be deleted after some period of time. It is a photo forum after all : (

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    I don't see the images originally posted either, so I would assume they have been removed by the original poster. We don't remove images administratively, but there is a slight chance that some might be dropped due to an error in the system database.
    Ralph, thank you for the response. I was reading about x-ray film and was not sure why I was not seeing the images.

Understand that because there are several ways to display images here, there are several ways they can stop being displayed.

--Images uploaded to the forum and stored in the forum database: These will be removed if 1.) the image owner requests it, or 2.) there is a problem with the forum database that causes the image to be lost. The latter is far more rare than the former, but both are uncommon.

--Images stored on the image owner's site and linked here using "IMG" tags: These will be removed if the owner's site lapses or if the owner removes or relocates the image so that the link no longer resolves.

--Images stored on free image hosting sites and linked here using "IMG" tags: These sites often provide links to images that do not persist for one reason or another, so in addition to removal by the image owner, the link may become stale due to actions (or errors) in the image hosting site.

Finally, images will not post if you are going through a firewall that happens to restrict the site where the images are stored. This happens to me quite a lot where I work, and I get no warning that it is happening other than there is no image being displayed. This is particularly true for hosting sites that often show nudes, and have been prohibited by the firewall rule writer (usually one's employer when viewing the forum on the company's network).

Rick "considering the possibilities" Denney

Rick,
    I am having the same problem--not seeing photos that were uploaded and stored on the forum db--I suppose due to your #2, above, problem with the db (unless it's a new firewall issue for me).

Here is an example I posted in 2011...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post745226

Another example....I tried to look up Donald Miller's excellent abstract photos in the Abstracts thread and cannot see any of them now. IIRC, he uploaded his photos to the forum db, they were not hosted elsewhere.

So...is it possible the forum db storage problem is a bigger issue than has been realized, or are photos not available after a certain number of years, or what?

Thanks,
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Rick,
    I am having the same problem--not seeing photos that were uploaded and stored on the forum db--I suppose due to your #2, above, problem with the db (unless it's a new firewall issue for me).

Here is an example I posted in 2011...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post745226

Another example....I tried to look up Donald Miller's excellent abstract photos in the Abstracts thread and cannot see any of them now. IIRC, he uploaded his photos to the forum db, they were not hosted elsewhere.

So...is it possible the forum db storage problem is a bigger issue than has been realized, or are photos not available after a certain number of years, or what?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Hi, Michael. I'm looking into the issue.

With respect to images uploaded to the forum databases, it appears we may have lost some of them as a result of the couple of system crashes we've experienced over the years, particularly in the 2010-2012 time period. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine exactly what happened in specific instances, as the HTML for the page displays is generated on the fly.

Members with missing images can, of course, re-post them in the threads if they wish.

Thanks for checking on this, Ralph.