Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Yosemite Report

Preston Birdwell

Re: Yosemite Report

This item is on our local Sonora news this morning...

Yosemite, CA — A rockslide occurred along El Portal Road (Highway 140) early this morning in Yosemite National Park.

Park officials say that it was reported at around 5:45am. Due to the incident, El Portal Road is closed until further notice from the park boundary in El Portal to the junction of El Portal Road/Big Oak Flat Road (Highways 140 and 120). Park crews are assessing the situation this morning, and there is no estimated reopening time. There were no injuries reported. Lodging and other facilities in the community of El Portal remain open.

Big Oak Flat Road (Highway 120) and the Wawona Road (Highway 41) also remain open with chain restrictions. Visitors are required to carry chains in their vehicle when entering a chain control area.
    Be safe out there everyone.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

Sounds like a nice time to be in Yos Valley, since not many people will be able to get in. But it will take some patience and probably chains too. My most memorable time was stomping around in snowshoes with a Sinar, and not seeing a single moving car in the entire Valley all day long except for one ranger.
    Carry plenty of supplies, warm gear, and a serious sleeping bag. The south entrance (41) can be awfully slow unless you are head up to the Badger ski area first.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

It was beautiful when we were there. 41 is slow and can be icy so go slow and be careful. It will be a long slow drive but when you come through the tunnel you will be rewarded.

Preston Birdwell

Hi All,

I can't edit my original post, so here's a link to the article, along with a couple of images.

From the looks of the slide, this is going to take a while to clean up, and to fix the roadway. Yikes!
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Photographing Half Dome from Awhanee Meadow a minute or two ago:

Looks like a good place to be right now.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

.... and this time of year, under these conditions, don't expect to be back to work on Monday. One more reason to be there. "Sorry, boss, but the road is CLOSED
    and I'm STUUUUUUUCK in this awful place, n' my cell phone battery is going cold, so you might not hear from me for another week or two. It's really tough, but
    y'know .... Gotta go now, the light on that rock....".

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    .... and this time of year, under these conditions, don't expect to be back to work on Monday. One more reason to be there. "Sorry, boss, but the road is CLOSED
    and I'm STUUUUUUUCK in this awful place, n' my cell phone battery is going cold, so you might not hear from me for another week or two. It's really tough, but
    y'know .... Gotta go now, the light on that rock....".
    +1