Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WA lens for photography in the North East

WA lens for photography in the North East

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on a wide-angle lens for 4x5. I live in New Brunswick, Canada and currently my widest lens is a 150mm Sironar-S. I'm looking to get the advice of other photographers that shoot in the NE USA and Canada. As you probably know, we're not exactly blessed with the spectacular grand scenics of the desert southwest or the mountains of California or Colorado. Our scenic beauty here is much more subtle. I was leaning towards the 90mm, but I have a feeling that it will be a little too wide. Any other LF shooters in this area care to offer advice on a good wide-angle lens?

Hi Rob,

I shoot largely in New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Quebec. When I am shooting 4x5 my most frequently used lens is a 110. When I am capturing lake vistas, of which there are lots in NH I sometimes use a 75. The 90 seldom gets used. Next most used after the 110 is either the 300 or the 180, not sure which.

I like my 90. It's just nibbling on the edge of decisively wide. To be fair, I also crave something wider and am also on the other end of the continent, so add salt.

I just got back from a photography trip to the desert south west (USA). Specifically, Joshua Tree National Park. I took along a new (to me) 80mm SS-XL I found used that I got for a return trip to Yosemite later this year. I thought in a park of considerably smaller scale I wouldn't need it, but it fit in the bag... Much to my surprise, it was my most used lens. The rest of the trip (Organ Pipe Cactus NM, Saguaro NP, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon) I hardly touched it.

I think a lot has to do with where you are shooting and what you are seeing and reacting to. Some places seem to want wider lenses than others. Some want longer lenses. I think I would have a tough time picking a lens based on geographic location.

That said, I managed to work a number of years without a lens shorter than my 110mm SS-XL. It'll give you another 15 degrees of view-angle over the 150mm, which is a nice chunk. It's quite sharp. It's considerably easier to work with than shorter lenses such as a 90mm or an 80mm. So a lens in the 110mm range is what I would recomend for you.

If it makes you feel any better, my primary landscape "zone" is east coast USA, particularly the Appalachians and Piedmont from VA to GA.

Bruce Watson

I live in NE Ohio. I use both my 90 and 58 quite a bit, especially the 58 for woodlands and rivers, cascades, waterfalls, etc.

You could get a 100mm WF Ektar for a tenth the price of the 110XL, and see if you like the focal length. The Ektars have an excellent reputation.

I use a 135mm alot myself.

I'm from the NW out here in washington. I find that I use my 135 wide field Ektar the most. I also have a 90 that I use sometimes. A 75 would have been nice when I went to Antelope canyon. I agree with Frank on the Ektars, I wouldn't trade my wide field straight across for an XL. I also have fuji single coated lenses. I just prefer non multicoated lenses. John Berry

Rob,
    Why don't you get an old (and cheap) 90/6.8 Angulon or Optar from eBay and play with it for a while. You won't have much in the way of movements but it should let you know whether you like the focal length. When you are done just pop it back on eBay and get something better.

I shoot mostly in the woods of Western Pennsylvania, and find the 90 and 135 are my most used focal lengths. I really haven't wanted anything shorter (except, of course, from my basic desire to own every possible focal length...something I think we're all afflicted with from time to time). 90 works very well for me around water (lakes, streams, waterfalls), and 135 is my favorite for other spaces.

Oddly enough, for 8x10 I gravitate either to shorter equivalent lengths (150mm) or longer (480mm). I'm not sure why that is, but it works for me.

Hello: There are three Wide field Ektars on the auction site, search "wide field ektar" on Cameras&Photo, today. One is a 100mm.

I shoot B&W with an ArcaSwiss 6X9 in the upper Saint John River valley using a 80mm Xenotar, 105 NikkorW and 240 TeleXenar, in order of preference. 1.5x gives one measure of equivalents for 4x5.

A quite landscape requires few movements, at least for me.

yours
    Frank Johnston