Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LF as a Spectator Sport

Re: LF as a Spectator Sport

20 square inch memory cards! LOLROTF
    thanks, that's great!

And next time if they're really curious, I'll offer to turn their $20 bill into a few sheets of film, right before their eyes...

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I was going to do some LF photography in down town blue ridge Ga early this week, this town is a tourist hot spot in October, I had my C1 and I set it up, well here they come, most just looked and went on, a few walked by and said, wow that's a cool camera, then a couple came up that really engaged in some conversastion and the woman knew what she was talking about, she explained to her husband all about LF photography, she told me she had a speed graphic but she never really used it but she knew how to use it if she ever decided to, and she said she had heard of an 8x10 but never saw one, her husband thought it was cool and she asked if she could take a picture of her husband looking under the darkcloth like he was taking a picture, I said sure, so he looked and said "hey everything is upside down" before I could say anything she explained to him why everything was upside down, she then took a few snaps of the C1 said thank you and walked away
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I was taking a portrait of a classic railroad enthusiast at an event last weekend, when (among others) a woman asked about my camera. Turned out she used to be a photographer and had experience with view cameras, but had only worked with digital backs. She had never shot a sheet of film. Odd, I thought.

Wonderful story -- I'm going to be smiling all day! Thank you.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    When I went to move it onto the spot from which I wanted to shoot, I caught their attention. For the next fifteen minutes, we waited while each one in turn posed with my camera and had their picture taken. You'da thunk they'd want their picture taken with the lovely mountain in the background! Then when they were all done getting their pictures taken, they waited very politely and quietly and watched while I set up my image and took my photograph. When I was finished and put the dark slide back in place, they started clapping, like I'd just finished performing a string quartet all by myself. It was actually quite amusing...
    You had a better crowd than I usually draw. My wife has made many pictures of people making pictures of me while I worked, but no one has ever made a "celeb" selfie with me and my camera, not even when we visited Japan! The thing I find really odd is that the onlookers don't ever seem to want to know what I'm making a photograph of, they are just about only interested in me and the camera.

On the rare occasion when someone asks, I always show them the groundglass so they can see the upside down and backwards image. Little kids are fascinated by it, adults seem more mystified.

But I've never had an ovation, either in the field on in a gallery. I bow to your superior skills Mr. Graves.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    ...but no one has ever made a "celeb" selfie with me and my camera...
    Oh, they didn't include me...Just THEM and my camera.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

FR. Mark, I was shooting Ektar. Still looking for a place that still processes 8x10 C41. I may just buy a kit and process it in my Jobo.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Drew Wiley

C41 8x10 processing is routine here, though it's unfortunately clear across the country from you. I just wonder how much longer I'll be able to shoot 8x10 Ektar
    since it has literally doubled in price in just a year. Or maybe that is just B&H's way of gouging when they temporarily have an exclusive. They've done that in the
    past, like when 8x10 Tech Pan got scarce and they suddenly tripled the price. Still, better to have it available overpriced than not at all. But it sure tempts me to
    shoot 4x5 more often.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    It is interesting sometimes. They are interested if you have a 100 year old camera and lens because they are amazed the thing still works. But they are equally amazed (or more so) to see a "modern" (e.g. less than 20 year old) LF camera and lens. Got some equally open-mouthed stares at a Canham all-metal MQC or a Walker Titan SF with a modern lens and shutter because it "looks cool" and yet shoots big hunks of something called film...
    I find that if one uses some modern "high techie" looking LF camera, most people have a different response, as they probably assume that equals a $$$$$$$/commercial venture, where by using an "antique", someone is doing it for the joy of it...

I find the "antique" seems to "blend-in" better in public spaces...

Steve K