Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera rotates on tripod head. Fixes?

Camera rotates on tripod head. Fixes?

I currently use a Bogen/Manfrotto 3011 tripod with their 3028 two-way head and it has worked fine for me with my old B&J 5x7. There has always been something of an issue with the camera rotating on top of the head, however, and lately I've been shooting more 5x7 with a back which has very powerful springs, so powerful that in prying the ground glass holder away in order to insert a 5x7 film holder, it is almost impossible to insert the holder without the camera rotating around the mounting bolt on the 3028 head.

I originally bought this tripod/head combination back when my "big" camera was a Mamiya 645 and when I went to large format and tried it, the tripod/head worked fine and has for years, at least for my B&J. The camera would occasionally rotate a bit when using the 4x5 back (with weaker springs) and when it did I just tightened the bolt holding the camera to the head and that seemed to be fine. Not so with the 5x7, however: it just doesn't seem possible to tighten the bolt enough (by hand, anyway,) to prevent the camera from rotating when using the mighty 5x7 back.

The top of the 3028 head is covered with what appears to be cork: I've thought that it may have worn smooth over the years, or possibly just isn't "sticky" enough to hold the camera firmly enough to prevent it from rotating. One idea is to cover the top plate of the head (the cork part) with thin rubber, possibly from punctured bicycle inner tubes. Has anyone else had this problem, and does the solution sound reasonable? Another thought was to give up the minimalist approach and get Bogen's hexagonal quick-release plate for the 3028 head: I suppose I could tighten the plate to the head with pliers or something, making it a rather permanent assembly.

On a slightly related topic, does anyone make an add-on bail release assembly which might be added to my 5x7 back? Those springs really are pretty tough!

Thanks for your help!
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

I've got the 329 head and tighten it to the camera with a screwdriver. I guess you could use a coin or something but I can't see getting a good enough grip to turn that little screw by hand.

Octogenarian

Hi Mike,

The Bogen tripod legs and head that you describe are barely strong enough to support a 35mm. camera. It sounds like you have exceeded the capacity of that camera support by quite a bit with your 5X7 B&J. You can struggle with adding a non-skid top plate, replacing it with a hex plate, and tightening the set screw with a pliers, but you will not actually solve the problem. The most logical solution would be to replace the 3011 and 3028 with a tripod and head combination that is designed for a larger, heavier camera.

wfwhitaker

I have a Bogen 3028 and think it's just a tad on the light side for a B&J 5x7. Having said that, when I've had similar problems, I found that the material which is used underneath rugs to keep them from slipping works pretty well. It comes in different weights. The lightest (thinnest) works best so that there's not a lot of height added between the top of the tripod head and the camera.

Also make sure the screw isn't "bottoming out" in the camera, i.e., that the screw isn't too long for the hole. I doubt that's the case as I believe the mounting thread in the B&J runs clear through.

Try cutting a piece of thin rubber to place between the camera and the top of the plate. I've found that a piece cut from a latex glove provides some good friction that will keep the camera in place better.

Try this to reduce movement: wax up your film holders with pledge or armor all or silicone. Then just pry open the back with one hand using thumb and finger of one hand just enough to slip in the end. Next steady the back and slide the holder in. It will pry itself into the camera, but with almost equal pressure on each side, thus reducing torque.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Thanks for all your responses; you've been a big help. I'm going to try the rug anti-stick and inner tube ideas first, since I have some of that stuff laying around the house (somewhere!)

A couple of other quick comments: (Eugene and Will): I originally thought that the light tripod and head would be too small for the camera as well, but I've been proved wrong over the years. Although the platform is a bit small and I'm sure that this contributes to the rotation problem, the head and tripod do support my B&J firmly and solidly, even in light gusty breezes. I use a lot of T-max 100 and not always in bright light: the longest exposures I've made recently were 3 1/2 minutes and all of them were tack- sharp. I did try it on an Ansco 8x10 last summer, just to see what happened, and the results were what one would expect.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Jim Ewins

I use 3047 QR heads and found that by drilling and tapping the plate for a 1/4-20 or -24 set screw (sticking out about 3/8") and drilling out a 1/4" hole in the base of my camera to correspond to the set screw the camera can't move (rotate around the plate attachment screw). Good luck and better images, Jim

Jon has a good idea about prying open the back with thumb and finger. It really helps. Also, when mounting the camera on the tripod it helps to point the camera a little to the left of where you want it to end up, and then rotate it to the right as you tighten the screw with the other hand. I have to do that with a Tiltall.

Octogenarian

Mike,

You wrote: "Although the platform is a bit small, and I'm sure this contributes to the rotation problem---"

That is what I was referring to, and I stand by my statement. You need a larger tripod that has a larger platform, in order entirely to solve your problem. By the way, how high can you extend the 3001's legs and still maintain the rigidity you describe?