Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: survey digital vs traditional darkroom

survey digital vs traditional darkroom

Simplistic indeed
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

"I despise digital photography, the way it looks, the dickheads around here who think they're great photographers now that they've got a dslr, the film companies dropping products, etc. etc. It's just so convenient , cheap, & quick for the color snapshot stuff."

I feel that way about people who can't take a good colour photograph, only endless repeats and imitations of the same boring old B&W stuff

My commercial work has been 100% digital since 1996 and the introduction of the DCS 460. I talked the company that I worked for into shelling out $50,000.00 for it and a couple of dye-sub printers and haven’t looked back. Personal work, however, is 100% traditional.

I do 100% film capture, in formats from 6X6 to 12X20, but over the past two or three years I have started to scan and make digital negatives for alternative printing (carbon, kallitype and palladium) from all of these formats. I find it easier to print this way even in ULF formats because I can do all of the tonal corrections in Photoshop and then print a same size digital negative that gives similar image quality to the in-camera original, at least with alternative processes such as carbon and palladium. My feeling is that original in-camera negatives may still have a slight advantage over digital negatives, at least those made on inkjet printers, but the edge is very slight.

What someone else wrote earlier does ring a chord. He said, "I sit in front of a computer all day long at work; I'll be darned if I'll do it during my miserable few hours of creative time each week." Well, all day in front of a computer was my life also in a former position, and at that time I would not have dreamed of spending photography time in front of the computer. But now that I don't have to work with the computer as much at the office I find the computer photography work interesting and fun. But I still spend about 85% of my time making prints with wet processing, not in front of the computer.

Anyway, the short answr is about 15% digital, 85% traditional print making, and that percentage is not likely to change for quite a while because I am very pleased with my current work methods.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy,

I knew you had moved in the direction of digitally enlarged negatives and I hope to see some of it first hand one of these days. I do alot of traveling. Are you showing anywhere in the next couple of months?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

100% film capture (mostly 5x4), 100% digital printing (Lightjet)

Kirk,

I plan to be at APIS this summer and will have a lot of my recent work, much of it from digital negatives. Have quite a bit of kallitype and palladium work already done to take there, and hope also to have some carbon prints. I say hope because I just resumed carbon printing after a forced absence of about a year and it takes a while to get bake in the groove with this process, but the use of Mark Nelson's PDN system has been a gift in giving me a tool to obtain the the exact qualities needed in the negative for the process, and to match those qualities to my tissue, so things are going well right now.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

From a second year photo-journalism student, film is the only way to go. We were having a discussion last week, and a digi-type was arguing that the latest and greatest new digi-slr was as good as film. Then he added "With Photoshop...." I have been shooting LF for about 5 years, and as others have said they are doing, same here, with tin-type attempts, and the wet-collodian process. Glass plate, aluminum sheet, polished tin, etc.etc. homemade papers. Can't beat a good old dark room for escaping.

100% Traditional all the way - film to sensitized paper - and proud of it!!

Since 1992 the bulk (in sheer numbers of photos) of my commercial product work has been practically 100% digital capture. Over the past 6-7 years film capture and scanning has been increasing - not replacing the digital work, rather adding on. Its just better for some things.

For 4X5 architecture I'm all hybrid - film capture and scanning to get digital files and prints. Architecture is my main commercial interest now but on a numbers basis I'm still way more digital than film. (10 :1 -- digital product photos : film builiding photos)

And I do sell some wet darkroom prints. For personal work I'm about 90% wet darkroom, I _really_ like it.

What Bob Carnie said about missing out if you don't do both digital and wet is very true in my opinion.