Thread: Developing procedure for Tmax 100, Jobo CPP-2

Developing procedure for Tmax 100, Jobo CPP-2

I have looked extensively on this site for a straightforward description of the film developing procedure that John Sexton uses for 4x5 Tmax 100 film, Tmax RS developer, Jobo CPP-2 with lift, and the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum. This is my recently acquired setup, I like Sexton's work, so I would like to start there. All I can find are extensive posts regarding how much stock and/or working solution developer is required for a given amount of film, dilutions, and time/temperature combinations. I think I have that down but I would like to know the procedure from start to finish such as prewash, when to start timing (as you start to pour or when you finish pouring in the developer), stop bath solution and time, fixing solution and time, how to wash, whether to use hypo clearing agent, etc. Does Sexton have this written down somewhere on the web?

It's on the home page of this site- scroll down to "Processing and Printing", and you'll see exactly what you're looking for...!

p.s. next time you need to do a search for this type on information, try Google. A search for "John Sexton developing technique" yielded several links, including the one above, on the first few lines.

It's probably very important to point out that Kodak made some slight changes to T-Max 100 a couple of years ago, so John's times are not spot on for the new emulsion. Have alook at Paul Butzi's site (www.butzi.net - specifically here: http://www.butzi.net/articles/tmxacros.htm ). He has some times for the new Tmax 100 in Tmax RS on a Jobo which were my starting points. All those times are with a 5 minute prewet. Personally, I use a 1/3 stop adjustment for N+1 and N-1 which Paul does not do (and 2/3 for N+-2 - Paul uses 1/3 at n+-2).

You can expect outstanding results from the combination on your Jobo, but you may find that your metering technique will need a little more care. When in doubt give Tmax a little more exposure - it has a very nasty toe!

Here are some good Jobo web-pages sites to look at for developing film and paper.

http://www.jobo-usa.com/jq/jqtext.htm

http://www.jobo-usa.com/jq/jq9403.htm#UPJS

The first is a list of photographers and how they use Jobos. The second is the link from this list for how John Sexton uses his two Jobos. I doubt the second link above is as good as the one that's on this site, but it may offer some additional information.