Thread: What the hell?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What the hell?

I have a Fuji 400-T lens I bought from Midwest last fall. I'm only saying where I bought it to indicate that it should be functioning well, since Midwest is such a reputable dealer. On at least two occasions where I've tried to use it near the limits of its coverage, I have composed with the lens wide open, and then I see some serious--no, HUGE--vignetting when I stop down. It's as if the lens' image circle is being cut in half or something when I stop down to about f22 or further. Can anyone explain what's going on here? Is it something in the design of a telephoto? Do I have a lemon? I should probably stipulate that, at least as I recall, the vignetting occurred at the bottom of the ground glass, and occurred in situations where I used a combination of front tilt and rise. I know that there are issues with tilt in telephoto lenses, but I've never seen anything about this sort of problem. Thanks for any help.

What the hell?

Mike,

Are you using front movements? I've heard they'll drive a telephoto user crazy.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Octogenarian

What the hell?

Hi Mike,

Sounds normal to me. I assume you are using a 4X5 format camera. The lens is a true telephoto design, with a 220mm. image circle. Think of it as a long tube, like a telescope. When you apply front rise, then tilt it downwards, you are cutting off part of the image. Closing down the lens only serves to increase the problem.

When I used a Fuji 400T on my 4X5 camera, I seldom found the need to use front rise and never front tilt. Those movements were used mostly with shorter (non-tele) lenses for architectural subjects or for near/far relationships.

What the hell?

I have two Wollensak and one Rodenstock telephotos, and they all behave that way to some extent.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

What the hell?

Thanks for the input. Yes, this is happening when I use front rise and front tilt. Eugene, oddly enough, I used these movements for architectural subjects. I used them to photograph elevated portions of buildings a few blocks away from street level. So I would use the combination of movement to shoot over the top of the tree across the street but under the power line overhead, etc. It sounds like maybe I shouldn't worry about this based on the input I've received. Thanks.

What the hell?

Here is an example where the vignetting on the 400T blended into the darkness of some passing clouds. It's a good lens for what it does: allows you to get a long reach with much less bellows draw.