Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage boxes for 24x36 prints?

Storage boxes for 24x36 prints?

I purchased a pack of corrugated Archival Methods print storage boxes in 24x30 and they are nice. Expensive, but nice.

Does anyone have a source for 24x36 boxes that won't collapse under its own weight?

Thanks,

--Darin

Re: Storage boxes for 24x36 prints?

Is rolling them up in (large) diameter tubes out of the question altogether? A friend had this dilemma(but with 40x50" prints), and he settled on large cardboard shipping tubes with plastic caps. He used archival, buffered sheets of paper to separate the prints(inkjets) from the non-archival tube walls. The larger diameter of the tube allowed for minimal curling. Tubes were 48" long. I believe he acquired them from Uline

-Dan

Drew Wiley

Roll them up and ya gotta reroll them the other direction for awhile, then press them flat under a weight till the end of time to get them back to pretending to be
    flat. Not a good idea for anything of value, unless it's just for temporary shipping purposes, unmounted of course. But no sense interjecting my own idea of how
    to store them, if you think cardboard boxes are pricey.

Eric Woodbury

Not sure what kind of box you are looking for exactly. I get my portfolio boxes from Kevin Martini-Fuller out of Philadelphia. Beautiful boxes. Full custom. However you want them. They are a work of art unto themselves. Mine are usually 11x14 or 16x20. Never ordered anything larger.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I'm paying $30 per box for a 24x30 archival cardboard box. Non-archiaval ones are, what, a $1.50? On the other hand it *is* a nice box, drop side, fitted lit. They just don't seem to make them in 35mm film ratio (24x26). Found Kevin's Facebook page but his website, listed there, is dead. I can get very nice boxes for about $135 each for 24x36. Just looking for something archival for storage, not presentation. I see one on Adorama but it looks like it might not hold up to the weight...

--Darin

Drew Wiley

It is frustrating. I've resorted to either using flat files or now preparing to make my own big solander cases, though if I do go to all that trouble, I'm going to make
    them deluxe furniture-quality. One more project on the list.

My suggestion will be to do your own boxes in Coroplast. This is the way we do in museums. Low cost and good looking when they are done carefully.
    Usual way to do : You cut 1 wall only along the channels (for your longer measure) and cut halfway in the other way. You put screws in the corner (in the shorter side that it screw throw the channels).
    A very good reading about https://www.cci-icc.gc.ca/resources-...asticSheet.pdf
    I have ny own technique to do these boxes, I don't cut walls but heat them and side melt together and are very strong. If someone wish to have, I can do any special sizes, and boxes are done very carefully.
    I recommand Coroplast in 5 ou 6mm instead of the standard 4mm and screws #5 in 1 1/4". In standard 4'x8' you can do 40" wide with 4" walls by the length you need.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

24.5" x 36.5" x 3" Just under $30 each.

http://conservationresources.com/Mai...ection2_12.htm

Good company.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Drew Wiley

Big dry-mounted matted prints get rather heavy in a stack. I'd be a bit skeptical about the utility of inexpensive fomeboard boxes etc to reliably hold the weight
    of more than a few at a time. There are some specialty strong honeycomb sheet products extant, but the cost of sheets in small volume would give you a heart attack. And some special skills and gear are needed to work with them. I'm still not certain what I'm going to do. But whatever it is, I'll deliberately make it a fun
    project.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    24.5" x 36.5" x 3" Just under $30 each.

http://conservationresources.com/Mai...ection2_12.htm

Good company.
    Seconded. I have couple of their 24x30 boxes and they work great without collapsing under their own weight. If I leave them out I'll sometimes find my fifteen pound cat sleeping in top of it without making them collapse.