Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imacon Digital Back

Imacon Digital Back

Has anyone used the Imacon Digital Back? For example, they don't have to be used with a computer, they can go in the field. The only thing is, I'd be concerned about the drive that one carries along to do this. Isn't it a disk drive? Wouldn't it be better to have a card, like the Nikon or Canon? No moving parts. To me, disk drives and portable don't go together. Another nice feature of the Imacons is that one can get adaptor backs for many types of cameras.

I'm thinking about the 36x49 (mm) version. It's getting near the point where, on a 6x9 camera, they could be used for architecture. For example, it would be nice to have a 28mm lens that allows some movements. But, the 35mm lenses available equate to a 90mm on 4x5.

I know this sounds a bit casual, given the expense involved. But, it should be possible to get some stunning images, I would think. Where can one find some good reviews on digital backs?

Imacon Digital Back

Neil:

Here are some tests of the new Schneider 35mm XL and 24mm XL lenses with a Leaf 22MP back. You can download full resolution images... wow! Now I just need to find the right Lotto ticket.

http://www.digitar.alpavision.ch/

Doug Dolde

Imacon Digital Back

Michael Reichman reviews many on the Luminous Landscape. Also check Rob Gailbraith's forum for good info.

Imacon Digital Back

Neil,

I've had some fairly extensive experience with the current 22mp Imacons (also the similar backs from Phase One (H25 & P25), Jenoptik Eyelike M22 , Sinar 54H, & leaf Valeo 22 systems). If yo ucan find either a Jan/February 2005 View Camera or an August 2004 issue of P.E.I. magazines you'll find a couple of articles I wrote about my experiences with these backs. I worked very hard at being fair and honest i n these reviews,e specially given the limited space I had .

Basically, if your view camera system has a Hasselblad "V" (that's the square format Hasselblad) adapter on the back and the camera you can use any of these backs with your view camera. The Arca-Swiss 69Fc was the platform I tested on for doing architectural work with movements. I used a standard Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/4.5 lens at f/16 and f/22. the results are impressive -- but you have to make sure you adjust & test the position of the "shims" in the back for the proper alignment of the back with the groundglass.

Imacon Digital Back

Neil

The problem with the "small" 37x49mm size chip is as already mentioned, the use of wide angles with movement. A "normal" lens is 60mm, a true wide would be some 20-30mm. Only the Scheider 24 covers this (the 28/2,8 is buly and very poor in quality), the 24 has an image circle of 70mm, wich is just the chip size....no movements. Think of the angle - 11mm shift would demmand an image circle of minimum 92mm. A 24mm lens with an image circle og 92mm......this is some 140 degrees angle (roughly) this is a big challenge for the Rodenstock and Schneider...for a relatively small market. The new Schneider 35 XL (on the market in a few months) covers 90mm...the best there is at the moment.
    this year we will se even larger filesizes from the DCB´s. Dalsa is working on a 28mp and 33mp. There are rumors on a larger chip size (6x7cm) but this is not confirmed....
    To sum it up. For digital technical photography, this year will propably be the most interestng year..the back on a Linhof M679SC, Arca F-line 6x9, Cambo 23 etc...

Imacon Digital Back

There's definitely a gap there. The fact that there's no movement for the 24mm corresponds to 4x5. 24mm for 36x49 corresponds to a 58mm for 4x5, and there's little or no movement for this lens on 4x5. The problem is that there's nothing between a 24mm and the 35mm in a super wide angle lens. I would think that this will change. About a 30mm would be ideal; this would be the same as a 72mm or 75mm on 4x5.

Imacon Digital Back

I just received a mailing from Calumet and read about their new Cambo Wide 35 with Leaf 22 back and 35mm Schneider. Looks pretty interesting but at $27,500 I guess I'll have to wait a while. It does look like this might be a possibility for those who do a high enough volume of work. That the back could also work on a MF camera makes it even more reasonable. It is still a lot of money even depreciated over five years compared to an existing film set up.

Imacon Digital Back

If you want a true large format back try this one designed for aerial reconnaisance and "space" applications: an imaging area of 80.64mm X 80.64 mm and 81 megapixels.

http://www.fairchildimaging.com/main/ccd_area_595.htm

Imacon Digital Back

No doubt it is the ultimate current back, but I'm at least as interested in the business models and cost justifications for the owners. Does the Luminous Landscape guy have extra money from another business (or family money) or is he just another retired magazine editor who sells a few prints and video from his website? It doesn't seem to quite add up. Even when I cash out and retire with my $10 million dollars ;-), I'd still hesitate to drop $25K for a single back. You can buy a lot of Tango scans for that kind of money.

Maybe the top-tier architectural shooters can justify the back, but since catalog and portrait shooters are probably more than satisfied with less expensive options, how many people really need this top-end solution?

Imacon Digital Back

Nobody....I am selling DCBs in a pro shop, only a few private photographers has bought the 10K Imacon V96c back, otherwise its only commercial, fashion and food photographers. Architectial photographers cannot use them due to small imagecircles on the wideangles...
    I have a few customers using the Canon 1dsII with the 24 shift lens, but only for magazines, not for highend prints.
    The backs are fine for portraits, but you have to shoot a lot. i just did some calculation for a customer. He has over the last 8 months spend a total of 20K on E100G, Fuji RHP and polaroid 664. inc development, ex scanning. All shot in 6x9 on a Arca M 6x9. This guy cannot afford NOT to go digital.