Thread: Elwood 8x10 vs. 5x7 enlargers, same bulb?

Elwood 8x10 vs. 5x7 enlargers, same bulb?

Just a quick question for those who have old Elwoods out there. Do the 8x10 and 5x7 take the same bulb, and also, same wattage? I already have an 8x10, and am picking up a 5x7 to print smaller formats, and was hoping to keep a stockpile of the same bulb for each.

Also, completely OT, just have to mention how quiet and good-natured this forum is. I've just been reading the postings on dpreview.com (I shoot digital for my commercial work) and am still astonished by the ammount of bickering over the products companies will or won't release at PMA. Thank you guys for being the calm voice of photographic sanity.

Mike,

It depends on which model Elwood you have. According to my Elwood catalog the 5x7 Special, which has the 18" diameter reflector will take 200-400 watt bulbs whil;e the 5x7 Studio with the 10" diameter reflector takes 100-200 watt bulbs. The 8x10 model (18" diameter reflector)will take a 200-400 watt bulb.

Enjoy that Elwood!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

incidentally, the 400 watt bulb does a good job of warming tortillas;-)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White