Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nikkor m 300mm 9 versus kowa 305mm 9

Re: nikkor m 300mm 9 versus kowa 305mm 9

Thanks for the input. If only it did what it is said to do, I would be very happy. However, testing it again and again, I find that my nikkor sw lenses render more contrast and more acute images than the 300 m. And yes, I'm aware that this is odd! I've checked the 300 for any imperfections, coating issues, spacing of the elements, etc and it is by all means near perfect. I also love my ancient (100 year+) turner reich convertible, but only on occasions on which I find the "imperfections" artistically desirable, not as a general purpose lens.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    I think what you have to ask yourself is WHY you're not satisfied with the Nikkor 300 f/9.

Maybe you want more vignetting, more optical aberrations, a soft focus effect, lower contrast, swirly background blur, a more retro design aesthetic, a larger aperture, a different focal length, a different optical formula, or any of a dozen other things.

Once you answer that "why" question, you'll know what kind of lens you're after.

To me, the switch doesn't make that much sense, the Computar 305 is a good lens that should perform similarly to the Nikkor for most practical purposes except for ultra large formats where the Computar's coverage is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Buy it. Try it. Keep it or resell it.

You'll either end up having a great lens and possibly some extra $$ when you sell the Nikkor, or sell the GK for around what it cost you.

And you will have definitively answered your question!

Haha, very astute advice as always Lachlan. We would get along very well. Anyway, point taken (and lens was already bought, I get greedy when I see interesting glass...)

Hi Steve, you might be onto something. I mainly shoot the nikon on 4x10. Call me spoiled, but my other lenses on my favourite format (5x7) are just sharp all the way out to the corners. The few that are not super sharp at least render an even level of sharpness without noticeable decline towards the corners. I'll throw a few 4x10's on the light table and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I may be able to speak to your exact question.
    I have a Phillips 7x17 and own a Graphic Kowa 305mm lens (not the same coverage as a Computar) My Kowa barely covers the 7x17. I was trying to do a shot with some slight rise, about 3/8" and the Kowa did vignett a bit. I was shooting with a friend who let me borrow his Nikor 300 M lens. The Nikon threw a slightly larger image circle however the sharpness on the Nikon deteriorated going towards the edges much sooner than the Kowa 305mm. I would offer that the Nikon began to soften at about 1.25" from the edge of the image circle while the Kowa remained sharp to almost with 1/2" of the lens falloff at the edges.

Get a Computar if you can !!

2 cents.

Or a 305mm G Claron. A lot easier to find, probably cheaper, and arguably as good.

You know I love the g-clarons... However, they seem to have been going up in price lately. I now have a kowa in shutter (well, it is on its way here) for significantly less than i would have paid for a claron in barrel and separate shutter. Anyway, like you said, I can always resell it if not to my liking. It should be an easy sell, given how few are around. Will probably part with my apo ronar 360mm if I do like it. I agree that the claron would quite possibly be as good though. If it is anything like the shorter focal lengths I've tested anyway.

Lachlan 717

Looking forward to reading the results!

The 305mm G Claron is on the To Get list. Soon.

As is building a 4x10" camera!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Drew Wiley

Or if you're really lucky, stumble on a Fuji 300 A. Has all the advantages of the G Claron plus multicoating; and the typical selling price has one further advantage:
    you won't have any money left to cause you worry about which lens to buy next!

Looking forward to reading the results!

The 305mm G Claron is on the To Get list. Soon.

As is building a 4x10" camera!
    4x10 is an interesting format. I shoot it at times but cutting the film is a bit inconvenient... Besides that it is fairly straight forward. Landscapea on widenlenses can pose a challenge with the gaduation in the light from one side of the frame to the other...