Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to the eastern sierra for fall colors.

Re: Going to the eastern sierra for fall colors.

I was up at Lee Vining / Mono Lake this past weekend. I took Sonora Pass over and did not see any color on the west side until around 9000' though there was color down to ~8000' on the east side. Aspens were still early at Conway Summit; some gold but still a lot of green. The road to Virigina Lakes had some nice color but near the lakes themselves the aspens were mostly bare. Not sure if you are heading that far North but it might be an indication of the current elevation where the color is at.

-Darren

All good spots but, don't forget Convict lake and Bodie.........

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    June lake loop. Lee vining creek. Virginia creek.
    The road to bristlecones is ROUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    We will be up in that area on the 8-12 of October. So if you see some fool with a 14 x 17 say hi!
    I'll be looking for you, although I may be a few days later.
    Jerry

Drew Wiley

This current storm should put a snap and things and a dusting of snow up high. I already had spectacular fall color clear down at Mineral King two weeks ago, which is only 7500 ft elevation, and even better up around 10,000, though that was mostly dwarf willow and ground cover golds (too high for aspen). Rock Creek
    is convenient because the type of colors shift with the gradual elevation change, and Little Lakes valley itself is one of the easiest high altitude short hikes at the
    end of the road. But the color gets even better if you climb uphill on either the Hilton Lakes Trail or slightly up the Mono Pass trail (not too far up, or nuthin' grows!). Likewise McGee Canyon. Convict Canyon is a short drive with a lot of interesting peaks and cliffs, but the trail itself is steep and more deserving of a committed backpack trip. North of Mammoth, everybody knows about June Lk, Lundy Canyon, and Conway Summit. There are even better road drives, but I ain't
    talkin'!

Quote Originally Posted by DG 3313 View Post
    All good spots but, don't forget Convict lake and Bodie.........
    Ahhh, Convict Lake. My first trip there was during the Watts Riots in the 60's. We lived in Orange County and my dad figured that was a good time for an impromptu vacation. So we literally headed for the hills. Had a wonderful week and The OC was still there when we got back. I just hope the water level there and at the other lakes isn't too low due to the drought.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    There are even better road drives, but I ain't
    talkin'!
    Hopefully, my memories of old Forest Service roads will come flooding back once I'm there. Don't have a USFS key to get inside locked gates any more.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
    I'm planning a trip to the Bishop area, as soon as a box of Velvia50 arrives from Japan in a few days.
    My box of Velvia50 is in Los Angeles right now being placed into the loving hands of the USPS. A few more days and I'll be as ready as I'll ever be.

Drew Wiley

You'd never want to be behind a locked gate anyway this time of year, unless you're interested in a Donner Party rerun. There have been several horror stories involving northern Cal people just in the past few years - not because they had keys, but because some FS bonehead did, and didn't check whether any cars were
    left on the road when he locked the gate. Onboard navigating devices don't help much either - "take this shortcut, never mind the weather forecast".

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You'd never want to be behind a locked gate anyway this time of year, unless you're interested in a Donner Party rerun. There have been several horror stories involving northern Cal people just in the past few years - not because they had keys, but because some FS bonehead did, and didn't check whether any cars were
    left on the road when he locked the gate. Onboard navigating devices don't help much either - "take this shortcut, never mind the weather forecast".
    Yeah, the 70's was a different, younger and more adventurous time.

Drew Wiley

The drought has had little effect on lakes that rely directly upon high altitude watersheds. It's lower down in terms of ag storage water from the west slope that things appear dramatically different. There are a couple of ways into upper Convict Can, and the main route right up Convict Creek is infamously unpredictable
    where the creek bottlenecks and every attempt at a bridge has washed out. No place to be in a storm! The back route requires true 4WD up the Sherwin Cr moraine, into some lovely aspen, then a trail over the top up high, with some stunning views almost straight down to Convict Lk 3500 ft below. The danger there in the fall is from deer hunters, that is, along the old 4WD mining road itself. The Watts riots are a different story. My sister was a social worker there right during that era, so it was certainly a time of anxiety for our family. Back then, I barely missed getting buried by a sudden collapse of that Convict Can slate by a sudden collapse of it from the steep walls of Red & White Mtn.