Thread: Gell Filters

Gell Filters

Hi everyone. I use the Lee Filter System with my med and lrg format systems. (Kinda wish I went with glass). Anyhow, does anyone know of a safe way to clean the gell filters? Are there any proven cleaning solutions that will work without damaging them. When I received the gells new, they came wrapped in tissue and inserted into a sort of pocket/purse protector. Do you think I'm looking for trouble with scratches by not using the tissue to wrap them before I put them away in the pocket? Also, any strong thoughts on why I should sell the gells and by glass?

Thanks
    Bob

Gell Filters

Gels or resin? To my knowledge the only way to clean gels is to replace them.

Gell Filters

i've heard that smoothing toothpaste into light abrasions will take care of them... and leave your camera bag smelling minty fresh.

Gell Filters

Gel filters can not be cleaned except for dusting if you are careful.

Lee polyester can be wetted. In fact I`m still using some that were submerged in a flood. I found them in the last phase of clean up. Even the Calumet cardboard holders survived reasonably well.

Plastic/resin can be polished with .3 micron abrasive. Read that point 3. Use 1 micron to start if there are scratches, then final polish with .3 .

This worked so well on plastic, I tried it on an uncoated lens to remove some scratches. It worked.