Thread: Call for D76 users

Call for D76 users

Hi everybody,
    I need your help to develop the new 320TXP sheet film with D76 (1:1) in Jobo tank (hand inversion). For normal contrast, do you rate the film @320ASA? And what is your developing time?

Have you tried the Bergger 200 film with D76 (1:1)? What are you developing conditions? Do you like the result? Thank you very much for your help

Call for D76 users

With the BTZS tubes at 70 I use 6 min. with a fast spin for N. For 8x10 with deep tanks for Alt. processing I go to 12 min. This keeps it contrasty. Film rated at IE 160.

Call for D76 users

If you like your mom and apple pie, you will like Bergger in D76. EI 160 seems ok. 8 min at 68 deg with an agitation every thirty sec. 7 1/2 for a condenser enlarger.

Dilute it 1:1 and the grains pops up quite a bit. Tone reproduction is the same.

Full strength D76 is vastly surperior to 1:1 with every film I have tried including tri x.

TRi x in 35mm is 5 3/4 min at 68 for a condenser enlarger. My tri x sheet box has not been opened yet. I will go to K`s site and find a percent difference between 35mm and sheet and apply that to 5 3/4 min. This factoring has worked perfectly for me in the past with HC110.

I will never dilute D76 again.

My tanks include an Arkay water jacket, three stainless tanks, hangar rack, and hangars. I will also use a 4x5 Nikor inversion tank and used a Jobo 6 sheet reel before I obtained the other systems. The Nikor is just like an overgrown 35mm tank. Requires 32 oz for 12 sheets. It`s a gem if you can find one. I also use an Expert drum on a Jobo processor, but I favor it mostly for color work now. Old fashoned I guess, just like LF cameras.

Call for D76 users

Currently using HP5 with D76 1:1 68ish degrees in a combiplan tank for 7 minutes for normal (though my 35mm HP5 in a steel tank is 10 minutes). Film rated at 200 when shot, generally. Similar to Tri-X but not the same.

I used to use Tri-X for my 35mm and it was D76 1:1 in a steel tank for 10 minutes. Film also rated at 200. But I moved to Ilford film before I switched to 4x5 and haven't done 4x5 TriX.

But those are just my starting points. Sometime I extend or decrease the dev times depending on my negs, but not in a controlled n-1 or +1 kind of way. Also, I'm not big on a thermometer, I have a rough idea of how 68deg feels and go from there... More of an inutitive kind of process. I can almost feel the furrowed brows and raised eyebrows as people read this.

-m

Call for D76 users

Ronald Moravec said; "Full strength D76 is vastly superior to 1-1 with every film I have tried including tri x."

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit, ie in what ways is undiluted D76 "vastly superior" and what's the reason for its superiority? I've been using D76 1-1 with a variety of films for about ten years. I've done all the zone system testing so I know my temperatures, agitation, and times for each film to obtain plus, minus, and normal results with D76 diluted 1-1. That being the case, in what way would undiluted D76 be "vastly superior" and what are the
    reasons?

I don't ask this to argue with you, just that I dont recall ever hearing that claim made before and don't offhand see why it would be true though I'm not knowledgeable about chemistry. I ask the question because if undiluted D76 is vastly superior in a way that's important to me I'll do a zone system retest for the films I use, which isn't something I want to undertake (or, more accurately, that I want to pay The View Camera Store to undertake for me) without more information about the superiority of undiluted D76 and the reasons for its superiority. Thanks.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Call for D76 users

Brian,

I do a lot of 35mm and the grain structure is much finer than 1:1. Even Bergger looks decent at full strength. The previous best was 76 1:1.

I really disliked tri x until the first batch at full strength. It is way finer than HC110.

I know it is not so important with LF, but I may want to make 8x or more prints from 4x5 and then it is important.

There may be a slight sharpness loss, but not enough for me to see compared to 1:1. 1:3 will produce visually really sharp prints, but the grain get much worse.

All developers have strengths and weaknesses and for me full strength is the best balance.

I have passed this on to others on Photo-net and they write back that HC110 shouldn`t even be allowed to be sold.

Try a sheet or two for large prints and see for yourself.

Octogenarian

Call for D76 users

Brian,

From what Steve Anchell and Bill Troop say, diluting D-76, or ID-11, 1:1, or more, means that the development time needs to be increased, over using an un-diluted developer. The result is that the film remains in the sulfite, contained in those developers, for a longer time. Even when diluted, sulfite will dissolve the edges off of the individual grain crystals. The result is a negative that has less acutance. If you want to increase the appearence of sharpness, do not dilute those developers.