Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bostick & Sullivan Carbon Tissue

Bostick & Sullivan Carbon Tissue

Does anyone have experience using the Bostick & Sullivan Carbon Tissue? I would like to try carbon printing and this looks like it might be a convenient way to try.

https://www.bostick-sullivan.com/car...cat=171&page=1

Thanks,
    Jim
    "it’s so easy to get famous now. Have a big butt and an Instagram account."...Naomi Grossman

Re: Bostick & Sullivan Carbon Tissue

I've used some. I'm no expert, but it worked fine. It's a good way to start.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

My experience is that to really know carbon printing you need to pour your own tissue. B&S makes a decent tissue to learn with.

Peter & Jim, thanks for the info.

Jim
    "it’s so easy to get famous now. Have a big butt and an Instagram account."...Naomi Grossman

If you can, transfer onto fixed-out photopaper to begin with. FB (emulsion side) or RC (either side). I prefer Fiber - glossy.

Good Luck!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    If you can, transfer onto fixed-out photopaper to begin with. FB (emulsion side) or RC (either side). I prefer Fiber - glossy.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the tip Vaughn

Jim

If you find that carbon is of interest my suggestion is to take a workshop with a carbon printer with experience. I found that in my work from the very beginning I wanted complete control over the process. Hence, pouring my own tissue was a must. The difference is that with the B&S tissue you have a thin quality tissue that has certain colors available. When you pour your own you can blend pigments and create your own colors unique to you and pour a thick tissue if you desire a high relief image.

Which ever way you go you will have to dedicate a lot of time to the learning curve. Good luck.

Oh dear lord, yes do a workshop if possible. About 4 months ago a buddy of mine and I decided to tackle carbon (including making tissue, which is surprisingly easy). We have been printing at least once a week and after each tragic failure we swear we will save up and take one of Fitzgerald's workshops. However, each time we also see glacial progress so it keeps us coming back for one more round of punishment (I hate carbon/I love carbon). Finally we have made a marginally acceptable but nowhere near happy yet print. A workshop likely would have saved us a wad of paper and 2 fifths of Scotch.

Oh boy, I've had tragedy happen with to much wine! I've always felt that the best way to learn carbon printing is to print, print print. Once you understand the basics and dedicate a lot of time things come together. Wine or scotch are optional!

Fortunately no tragedies are due (yet) to wine or scotch but they are certainly due to the about 25 freaken variables. What amazes me is there are only about 5 or 6 known carbon transfer authors/utubers and each do a number of things differently. If the same was true to the same degree of silver gelatin printing it would have never gotten off of the ground.