Thread: F.64 Backpack tips

F.64 Backpack tips

My new F.64 BPX backpack arrived today and, of course, I have spent hours setting it up. It's a great pack and has more than enough room for my 4x5 kit.

One question: How do you hang a tripod onto it? There are 2 thingamabobs on the top that, I assume, are to thread straps through. I see it is possible to use nylon straps to hang the tripod onto the pack. It seems sort of sloppy, the way I was doing it. Does anyone have any tips about this or anything else regarding the BPX backpack?

I'm getting this together for a fall colors trip to the Owens Valley soon. If you see a big guy with his tripod bouncing up and down on his backpack, that will be me.

Best regards,
    Jerry

Re: F.64 Backpack tips

What I did was, I made a loop of "parachute cord" that goes around the tripod where the center post comes out.
    That loop, which now hangs out about 3", hooks onto a carabiner on one of the loops on the "shoulder" of the bag.
    I got a 12" tie-down strap with a click connector at REI and that secures the bottom of the tripod using a set of the
    lower loops on the bag. If you get the lengths right, you can still stand the bag up with the tripod attached.
    So to get the tripod off, I unclick the tie-down strap and release the cord loop from the carabiner, very quick and easy.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    What I did was, I made a loop of "parachute cord" that goes around the tripod where the center post comes out.
    That loop, which now hangs out about 3", hooks onto a carabiner on one of the loops on the "shoulder" of the bag.
    I got a 12" tie-down strap with a click connector at REI and that secures the bottom of the tripod using a set of the
    lower loops on the bag. If you get the lengths right, you can still stand the bag up with the tripod attached.
    So to get the tripod off, I unclick the tie-down strap and release the cord loop from the carabiner, very quick and easy.
    Pictures please
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

The "shoulder" of the bag. Are you referring to the two square plastic things near the top of the bag? They appear to be for threading a strap thru. Oh, and a picture would be great. Thanks, Jerry.

I had a feeling that might not be obvious.... see pictures below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bag1.jpg   bag2.jpg   bag3.jpg  
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    I had a feeling that might not be obvious.... see pictures below.
    I see, you mount the tripod on the side of the pack. You must have an older, yet better, version of this pack. Mine does not have the d-rings yours has. But I think I see a way to mount on the side using the side straps on both the top and bottom of the tripod. I think I can rig the loop and carabiner through the top handle. Thanks for the pics.
    Jerry
    Last edited by JerryP; 21-Sep-2015 at 12:40.