Page 42 of 47 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Mine has to changing dimensionally with time. There is no other explanation that fits the facts. But why? It just does not make any sense. I'm quite certain the problem with hard turning is far from rare. And when the collar get hard to turn then you tend to grip it tighter and that warps it and makes it even harder to turn. There is no doubt in my mind this thing need some more engineering and test units to refine the design. And that's the $64,000 problem you see. Changes in design need new molds, and they are breathtakingly expensive. I think this may be one reason why there have been no production TravelWide 90's, despite Ben's intention to do so. The R&D+prototypes are just too expensive.

A terrific camera. I am sorry that people are having problems getting theirs to work because they are missing out on an interesting way of working in large format.

Fortunately mine is still working and producing some wonderful 4x5 and 6x9 images. No problems with the focusing helical. In fact, as much pain as I had getting the plastic focusing screen to work, I am absolutely amazed at how accurate the focus really is on this camera.

When I get tired of wide angle shots I use the Graflex roll film holder and the 90 is much more like a slightly wide normal on 6x9.

Overall this was a great little project and I for one am very glad that Ben and Justin went through the trouble of making this little wonder.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    A terrific camera. I am sorry that people are having problems getting theirs to work because they are missing out on an interesting way of working in large format.

Fortunately mine is still working and producing some wonderful 4x5 and 6x9 images. No problems with the focusing helical. In fact, as much pain as I had getting the plastic focusing screen to work, I am absolutely amazed at how accurate the focus really is on this camera.

When I get tired of wide angle shots I use the Graflex roll film holder and the 90 is much more like a slightly wide normal on 6x9.

Overall this was a great little project and I for one am very glad that Ben and Justin went through the trouble of making this little wonder.
    Clearly, all cameras were not the same, and from comments on several forums it seems that hard focusing was the main issue. I have thought of getting a 6X9 back, my helical will allow the 4 inch diagonal of that format to be covered and the camera will balance a little better, not being so nose heavy. Its a way to recover some aspect of the time and money I've put into trying to make this work.

Although there was/is some trepidation on my part, I backed that 'Mercury Universal camera' modular camera on Kickstarter. The focusing of that model is plastic but looks more like the design on an old Kodak Medalist. He is having the helical printed and changes to the design require only changing the software. After the experience with the travelwide I knew and expected there would be delays. So far, for the last 6 months at least, they have kept their promise of a monthly update, right on time, the last day of the month. We'll see how that works out in actual fact.

I have mine mounted on a monopod. It doesn't need the stability as it makes it handier for me to work with it that way.

For me the weakest part of the camera has always been the spring that is supposed to hold the film backs in place. The right side is held in place after a fashion but the left side has nothing pressing down on the film back at all. This is particularly a problem with the Graflex 23 roll film backs but it also is a nuisance when pulling and replacing dark slides. I picked up a bag of larger rubber bands and have started using those to help hold the film backs down on the left side. If I can locate some elastic that has a bit more staying power I may make the fix permanent.

Overall though I am very satisfied with the camera. I am using a Linhoff Select Schneider Angulon 90/6.8 which is small, lightweight, and very sharp so my photographs have been very good.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

What about a mod based on the Razzle-Dog system for the 4x5 Polaroid 110 conversions?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    What about a mod based on the Razzle-Dog system for the 4x5 Polaroid 110 conversions?
    Well Drew, as far as the TravelWide goes I'm about done messing with it. Just too much time and money trying to get the focusing sorted out. I'm happy for those who happened to get a good one. I did not. It had hard focusing on arrival, and bound up too tight to turn later on. All my efforts to fix it have failed. Ben said he may, in a new batch, replace the plastic retainers with aluminum. I've saved my helical parts, the collar (which I sanded the dickens out of to make it fit again) and the inner helical. I'll ask if he makes another batch if he will sell just the aluminum retainers as a part. I may not get an answer, he is very hard to contact.

Actually, I made up a handheld 4X5 of my own design out of hobby plywood (what else) and use a 130mm f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat with front element focusing from a trashed 1A. Actually works very well, doesn't fall over on it's nose when sat down, and is just as light as the TW90. With the front element focusing you can only focus as close as 6 ft., but that has not proven to be a limitation yet.

Hi PW:

I may have to go that rout and build my own. I like the front element focusing approach too. I am tentitivly thinking of starting with an ACID-brand cigar box with aGgrafloc back.

Re the TravelWide: While I havn't had serious problems with the helical itself, I just broke the helical mount's retaining ring. Right now I am holding ~120 deg semicirclular portion of this bit of plastic with two broken-out screw holes. I have posted a new thread on thisproblem in this forum, so pleas post any ideas on how to fix it in that thread.

My skill set includes Crazy Glue and 5 min Epoxy. Somebody STOP ME!

"Cheers"
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I posted this before but have no idea where - and since dropbox changed the rules, the pics may not be view-able - I made my own "travel-wide" out of a wooden cigar box. The focus helical is from a Chinese ebay seller. The retaining ring and lens board from a Russian ebay seller. I probably had as much invested as with a travel-wide but I don't think this helical will wear out any time soon - very well made. I can focus the 90mm SA down to about 1m.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

There's a free 3d model of the retainer in case somebody needs it
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2054817

Randy: That looks pretty nice. I was thinking about using boxes by "ACID" brand cigars. Look at them on e-bay.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com