Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the actual number of users of a 6x12 back would be tiny. And even the appeal of a roll film back is negated on a camera without movements (as MF cameras can do the same). A magazine back such as the graphmatic is more in keeping with the Travelwide concept.
    I don't think so. 6x12 is just the panoramic format with roughly [4x]5" width. It makes a lot of sense to use the TW as a panorama tool, a giant XPan kind of.

If the Shen-Hao works I might pick one up. The Horseman is pretty awesome, and probably second only to the Linhof. The lever wind and automatic stops already make it better than the typical Chinese backs using knobs and red windows.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I'm kind of curious as to what the modification required to fit some of these different backs to the camera are. Is there enough material and space that you could shave off the needed material, but then build some kind of bolt-on fitting that would let you change the base body between using the different style backs as needed?

Would love to see some detailed pictures if anyone has the time. I'm not really expecting that I'll get one for myself, but it does sound like a fun mechanical and design problem to solve.

Make a mask, shoot 4x5 and crop. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by letchhausen View Post
    Make a mask, shoot 4x5 and crop. Problem solved.
    No, that's not a solution at all, it's a waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Not quite. A kit consisting of the travelwide with a grafmatic will weigh less than a travelwide with the three normal film holders it replaces, and would allow faster shooting. Similarly a kit consisting of a 6x12 back and a few rolls of 120 will always weigh less that the same number of shots on 4x5 film. Yeah you could go out and buy an all-metal 6x12 but it would be heavier. For some potential uses of the TW, like shooting in mountain environments, a 6x12 back would make a lot of sense.
    Sure—the kit may be heavier in total.
    To clarify my remarks:

I was referring to the camera itself. With the 90mm/f6.8 Angulon on the front (as it was designed to have) and a film holder on the back, the camera should be handy. With a larger mass on the back though, (Grafmatic magazine, roll film back, Graflock back )the camera may be harder to handle (assuming hand-held shooting).

On the other hand, if a more massive lens is put up front (my 90mm/f8 Nikkor) than maybe a Grafmatic or roll film back will balance out that weight out front.

These things will all be tried out and we will see what works.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    No, that's not a solution at all, it's a waste of time and money.
    What cameras does a 6x12 roll film back fit? I really don't know.

Do most of them require a Grafloc back?

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html

A quick glance at a Grafmatic and the 'plastic do it all' camera, seems to indicate they could be mated with camera mods.
    Tin Can

Well the Horseman (and many others) indeed fit any standard Graflok back. I have shot my Horseman using my Chamonix, Linhof, Toyo G, etc.

Of course without the camera in-hand I don't know what is preventing it from working, as reported earlier.

I am sure the heft of the Horseman would drastically change the handling of the camera. Personally I definitely plan on using the TW on a tripod regularly (hiking).

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Well the Horseman (and many others) indeed fit any standard Graflok back. I have shot my Horseman using my Chamonix, Linhof, Toyo G, etc.

Of course without the camera in-hand I don't know what is preventing it from working, as reported earlier.

I am sure the heft of the Horseman would drastically change the handling of the camera. Personally I definitely plan on using the TW on a tripod regularly (hiking).
    The Wonder camera clearly does not have a Grafloc back.

Have fun with it when it arrives.
    Tin Can

Other advantages of 6x12 (as if there aren't enough already): Never a dust problem from dusty film holders, per-shot price is WAY cheaper than 4x5 sheet film, can carry a lot more shots for the same weight/space, more choices of emulsions than sheet film. Personally I use 6x12 horseman a lot, especially with a Chamonix Saber - it's a great combo. Judging by price/demand of the horseman 6x12 roll-film holders, there's definitely a fairly wide user base of them (and of 6x12 in general).

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have several Grafmatics and use them but maybe with the Travelwide I will just get a small bag to carry as many holders as are needed. That way can have different emulsions also. We'll see.