Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

I just checked the fit of a Horseman Roll Film Holder Type 451, which is a 6X9 120mm roll film holder to fit 4X5 cameras. 8 on 120.

It fits easily and well, but the Wanderlust springs will require a rubber band or wood shim to fully clamp the left side of the film holder, the right side is firmly clamped by the camera springs.
    Tin Can

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Go to this thread for my description on fitting a Horseman 6X9 roll film holder. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1282135

Let's separate usage from delivery, as it is 2 different issues.
    Tin Can

Posts on fitting the 6x12 RFH moved to the "usage" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    I'd be surprised if the Horseman will not fit with the springs removed and using bungees. I plan on using the DaYi back which is multiformat 6X6 ti 6X12 and fits Graflex back. The measurement for the Horeseman should also fit a 4X5 Graflex. The Horseman is simply an overpriced roll film back, but measures to the Graflex opening that uses DDS, so should fit this back opening (sized to DDS as it is) and held on with the cords.

Can't imagine it's not a surmountable problem. The DaY is half the price of a used Horseman, in any event and multi format to boot.
    Be surprised, because as I said above, the Horseman 6x12 back does not fit. Based on actually trying it, not speculation!

A 6x9 or 6x7 back should fit as they generally don't overhang the end of the footprint of a standard 5x4 holder. Not sure if the chinese 6x12 backs would fit, should do if they don't overhang.

A quickload holder fits fine by the way, with the spring in place. Probably a bit cumbersome handling though.

Bummer about the 6x12 and Grafmatics not fitting! btw, there's a reason the Horseman 6x12 is an expensive back: it's basically the best available, certainly better than any of the chinese roll-film backs. The only thing better I could imagine might be a techno rollex back.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    -Even with the spring back removed the camera won't accept either a Grafmatic of Horseman 6x12 back. These both want to overhang the closed end of the film holder space, and can't because the solid end piece that the spring back screws into is there.
    Shame about the Grafmatic and Horseman… I didn't have either on-hand when I was designing the camera, otherwise I might have tried to devise a different system for the spring back.

FWIW, it seems like the Dayi 6x12 back should fit. And possibly the Gaoersi if you pull the left dark slide all the way out?

In he past,ways were found to modify the Polaroid 110 series (and others) to accept instant pack films and 4x5 holders . . .even Grafmatics. There is a small industry feeding this market niche.

I am sure that fitting roll iolm backs or Grafmatic magazines to a TravelWide will be figured out in several ways by multiple photographers. It may become a niche market of its own.

And yet, the concept of the TW revolves around simplicity and light weight. Adding a roll film back or a Grafmatic will make the camera heavier. Adding on a Graflock back (epoxy putty?) will add even more weight. Now it may be that a TW with apretty substantial lens is on the front handles better with some weight on the back. . . .we will have to see.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think the actual number of users of a 6x12 back would be tiny. And even the appeal of a roll film back is negated on a camera without movements (as MF cameras can do the same). A magazine back such as the graphmatic is more in keeping with the Travelwide concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Adding a roll film back or a Grafmatic will make the camera heavier.
    Not quite. A kit consisting of the travelwide with a grafmatic will weigh less than a travelwide with the three normal film holders it replaces, and would allow faster shooting. Similarly a kit consisting of a 6x12 back and a few rolls of 120 will always weigh less that the same number of shots on 4x5 film. Yeah you could go out and buy an all-metal 6x12 but it would be heavier. For some potential uses of the TW, like shooting in mountain environments, a 6x12 back would make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed that the Horseman 6x12 back doesn't work!
    I'll try a Shen-Hao 612 back when mine arrives. That back has the right flavor for a Travelwide. My Sinar Vario would be a bit over the top.

Rick "not remembering which side is the dark slide opening, though" Denney