Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

I do not have a TW camera yet and won't till the last of the pre-orders go out, BUT . . .

Is there a way to put a protective cap or cup over the lens/shutter? Maybe fastening the drilled out lid from a plastic container to the body and snapping the continer over all of it?

Is this needed or am I just fretting over a problem that I don't have (yet)?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Is there a way to put a protective cap or cup over the lens/shutter? Maybe fastening the drilled out lid from a plastic container to the body and snapping the continer over all of it? ...
    I assume you mean more than a lens cap. I think a "supersized" cap that would friction fit over the focus ring is a good idea for keeping both the lens and shutter clean and in keeping with the "take anywhere" ethos.

Will have to measure when mine gets here. Good application for a 3d printer if the printer material is flexible enough.

I do not have a TW camera yet and won't till the last of the pre-orders go out, BUT . . .

Is there a way to put a protective cap or cup over the lens/shutter? Maybe fastening the drilled out lid from a plastic container to the body and snapping the continer over all of it?

I'm just going to use a regular lens cap over the lens.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

There are some neoprene lens caps that may work, if can stay on securely.

Jon

my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I may find or make a flexible cover that's more like a small bag. If I shoot with something that I don't have to look through the lens, I can guarantee I'll have pictures of the inside of a lens cap.

One good solution is an oversized neoprene wrap, like the ones they use for lenses. The parts that are the most vulnerable are the cable release and the shutter cock lever. They're slightly protected by virtue of being inset from the helical. But still, it's safest to unscrew the cable release when in transit.

The lens itself is pretty safe with a lens cap on. If you're really worried, you can add a UV filter.

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Been tinkering with mine tonight, fitting the lenses, cleaning the shutter on the angulon etc.

First thoughts on the travelwide bodies:
    -pretty rigid, more so than I expected.
    -dead light.
    -ground glass supplied seems adequate for the job of setting infinity.
    -adjusting helical for infinity is simple. Helical relatively stiff to turn, but this may prove to be a good thing.
    -Even with the spring back removed the camera won't accept either a Grafmatic of Horseman 6x12 back. These both want to overhang the closed end of the film holder space, and can't because the solid end piece that the spring back screws into is there. Maybe they would work if you filed away most of that side, but that's a one-way street and precludes future use of the spring back and normal holders. Bit of a shame as I was banking on using the 6x12 back and Grafmatics instead of normal holders, adn the Grafmatic would really suit this camera down to the ground, but never mind.
    -Flash shoes seem pretty tight, at least with the things I've tried to mount, like a Voigtlander 15mm finder, Gaoersi 90mm finder, or my Linhof Multifinder. The Linhof especially is very tight. The plus point is once on you're not going to find these falling off. Plastic seems pretty strong though, I might try and file/sand a shoe out a bit and see if that loosens things up a bit. But I totally acknowledge that on a solid coldshoe its better to be on the tight side than the slack side.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Horseman 6x12 back doesn't work!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

It is a 4x5 camera...right? It was designed and intended to be a point and shoot 4x5.

Could be wrong but I don't remember any advertising that indicated it would handle 6x12.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

I'd be surprised if the Horseman will not fit with the springs removed and using bungees. I plan on using the DaYi back which is multiformat 6X6 ti 6X12 and fits Graflex back. The measurement for the Horeseman should also fit a 4X5 Graflex. The Horseman is simply an overpriced roll film back, but measures to the Graflex opening that uses DDS, so should fit this back opening (sized to DDS as it is) and held on with the cords.

Can't imagine it's not a surmountable problem. The DaY is half the price of a used Horseman, in any event and multi format to boot.