Page 11 of 47 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Re: Using and Modifying the Travelwide 4x5 camera

I am looking forward to getting one of these when they become available
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Re: Wanderlust 4x5 P&S

Ack! I broke it too, 5 minutes! Hopefully, they'll have spare parts available soon.

Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Ben,

That worked, thank you very much. One of the little loops on one of the retainers that the screw passes thru did break, but it's good enough to hold for a little while. When you get a chance, email me the price a new pair of retainers with an extra set of 4 screws (in case they start to strip with a couple of removals) plus the cost of shipping and I can PayPal the total to you before you ship.

Thanks and I'm really looking forward to putting some film thru this little beauty.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Secondly, I plan to find a way to reload some of the 159 envelopes I will have left over, with any emulsion 4X5 I want to use. I have torn down these envelopes and played with some ideas. I have hoped over time, somone would see the value of either reloading quikload/readyload envelopes or provide a system.

If anyone here knows of a project or mfr reloading Quikload/Readyload envelope with film of choice, would like to hear about it. It's come up before, but all leads have lead to dead ends.
    New55 indicates that their 1SHOT holders can be reloaded "once or twice". Link to Facebook statement

Does anyone have any tips for using the wire frame viewfinder? I have never used one before. How far out do you hold it to get proper framing?
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

My Wanderlust camera with a Nikkor 90mm SW f/8 lens, Super Watameter rangefinder, Mamiya Press 50mm viewfinder, and a little custom painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Does anyone have any tips for using the wire frame viewfinder? I have never used one before. How far out do you hold it to get proper framing?
    It works great for me with my glasses almost as close, as I can get to it, with a 90mm.

I primarily use it at 3 ft and I get my frame every time. I find it works very well, far better than the Israeli viewfinder I bought for this camera. It's view is too tiny.

If you look at the old time press camera guys they almost always shot with the 'sports' finder wire squares. Everything, not just action.

Makes sense as you can see action coming into frame and shoot. I shoot in bars and can watch out for left field...

I never used the sports finder on my press cameras until I saw how well the little square thing works for me. ymmv
    Tin Can

Just FYI folks. Quite a few have reported tight to very tight focusing. I decided to take a look at the helical surface and found ridges where the mold tool joins, four of them equally spaced every 90 degrees. I cut long narrow strips of #220 sandpaper and, using my finger, held pressure on the strip as I pulled them across the valleys. This reduced the mold flashing and now the reassembled helical is much improved, at least in the range between inf and 1 meter. Focusing is still snug but not as it arrived, almost too tight to turn.

The usual 'at your own risk' warning, whatever you do don't lose the 4 tiny screws, read Ben's instructions on removing and installing the helical etc etc.

Also, be very careful on the little 'ears' on the retaining semicircle's that the screws go through. Don't overtighten them, just sung them up. Mine are fine but I could see where they could be broken off easily. Have good light, the right mini Philips screwdriver, put on your strong reading glasses and take your time.

Are there any other approaches?

Light lapping/polishing compounds— rouge maybe?

Lubed with Moly or Graphite powders?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Are there any other approaches?

Light lapping/polishing compounds— rouge maybe?

Lubed with Moly or Graphite powders?
    Don't know. My approach was "cut and try", not a planed out procedure. I might take it apart again and smooth everything out with some #600 grit. But as of now it's working fine so......if it ain't broke, don't mess with it. I think this thing was made about as well as it could have been given the price point and material choice. For 8X the price one might produce a brass and aluminum helical that is really smooth but, who would buy it?

As to any lube. The helical is exposed as you focus closer, you would get the lube on your fingers if not extremely careful.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    ... For 8X the price one might produce a brass and aluminum helical that is really smooth but, who would buy it?...
    You're right about 8x the price:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...G&Q=&A=details